Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share some pics of my new 2017 Chevy SS I picked up this afternoon. Always admired the Holdens and would have picked up a G8 back in the day but made more practical family sedan choices instead. When I saw an ad that Chevy is really dealing on the leftover SS stock (20% off sticker), I had to go take a look, and I was very impressed. With Holden ceasing production I did not want to regret not pulling the trigger years down the road. I get that the automotive world is moving on to smaller engines and turbos, but I still just like classic NA V8 power.

Only driven it for 30 miles so far and cannot do any full throttle runs for first 650 miles. First impressions are that it has a very solid/composed ride, excellent brakes, and ample low end torque. Dual mode exhaust is my favorite feature as it noticeably changes the tone of the exhaust with the turn of a dial.

I was also pleasantly surprised by the larger trunk and back seat space as compared to the Maxima it replaced. I also really like the understated sleeper aspect of the car. Most people (other than gearheads) think it is a Malibu/Impala, which is fine by me!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Congrats on your new car. She's a beauty....:thumb:
I've always thought of the SS as a four door Corvette, and you are right, they are really a sleeper. I am sure you will love that big 'ol V8 when you can let it off of the short leash!!!:dance:

·
Super Moderator
17,861 Posts
Those things are gorgeous. Def a great pickup!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Sweet. I've always liked those and the older G8. Great color too.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! This car puts a big ole grin on my face every time I start it in "Performance" mode, as it lets out a nice gurgly backfire. Thankfully, my neighbor is a gearhead himself, and has a Harley, so he will understand!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just wanted to share some pics of my new 2017 Chevy SS I picked up this afternoon. Always admired the Holdens and would have picked up a G8 back in the day but made more practical family sedan choices instead. When I saw an ad that Chevy is really dealing on the leftover SS stock (20% off sticker), I had to go take a look, and I was very impressed. With Holden ceasing production I did not want to regret not pulling the trigger years down the road. I get that the automotive world is moving on to smaller engines and turbos, but I still just like classic NA V8 power.

Only driven it for 30 miles so far and cannot do any full throttle runs for first 650 miles. First impressions are that it has a very solid/composed ride, excellent brakes, and ample low end torque. Dual mode exhaust is my favorite feature as it noticeably changes the tone of the exhaust with the turn of a dial.

I was also pleasantly surprised by the larger trunk and back seat space as compared to the Maxima it replaced. I also really like the understated sleeper aspect of the car. Most people (other than gearheads) think it is a Malibu/Impala, which is fine by me!
CONGRATS !!! :dance::dance::dance:

View attachment 222521
Like a stretched 4-dr. Challenger?
WTH is that thing? What a WASTE / POS !!! :banghead:

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I don't understand why these Holden imports don't sell well in North America.

What is it about these cars, the Pontiac G8 and 04 - 06 GTO that people didn't like?

They are outstanding DD's. OP, great choice .. hell of a nice car.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
The sticker price may very well be the issue. However, compared to the level of options and performance compared to the competition, it's a bargain. Also, the sticker price is nowhere near what these cars will sell for.

I think the only real competition among American cars is either from Cadillac or Dodge with the 6.4L Chargers. Even then, a Cadillac with equal performance (V Sport) would cost around $12,000 more on the sticker and the Chargers would only be around $5,000 cheaper on the sticker.

Dealers will take losses on selling these cars. I have a friend whose in-laws own a Chevy dealership and he mentioned that they were letting these SS cars go for around $35,000 just to get them off the lot.

Same thing happened with the G8's and GTO's. The G8's were sitting on dealer lots for almost two model years before they basically gave them away. Same with the GTO's. I remember looking at purchasing a car around late summer/fall 2007 and came across a Pontiac dealer that had 3 brand new GTO's and they were asking I think $24,000 - $25,000 for them just to get them off the lot.

·
Super Moderator
17,861 Posts
The reason they don't sell is they are not advertised and your average Joe schmuck just goes to the dealer every 3-5 years, trades in and gets an uninspired sedan or crossover.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Premium Member
6,120 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
They were selling raffle tickets on your choice of a new GM vehicle, & they had 'em on display.
Chevy Cruze RS was $28,000;
Pontiac G8s was $28,000;
Camaro v6 was $35,000;
& a Silverado was $35,000.
& that was in 2009 (or 2010 i think)

·
Registered
1,545 Posts

& plus thats when Pontiac was being killed off, & people WERE worried about the future availability of parts, I remember. (which is rather sillies, IMO)
There's a GTO a few blocks from me, & i love it, but the style is pretty subdued compared to Camaro & the S197s & Challengers were new then too.
Bad timing for Pontiac.
GM brings out V8's just when they are killing off Pontiac haha
Dealers don't want a dead brand on their lots, they want new ones.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So, you love Chevys & are jealous of Dodge...? mmmmkayyy
Who the heck peed in your Cheerios ??? :hide:

Love Chevys ... No. Just happy for the guy that got a nice new ride that just so happens to have a V8 with some good HP.

Jealous of Dodge? Heck no. I would take a Hemi Challenger any day. :headbang: I just hate to see nice cars molested and turned into such a cobbed up mess. That thing is butt UGLY.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts