Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
No replacement for displacement but the numbers are a pretty respectable gain especially since ford will continue the warranty with that kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
If I want a bumble bee powered sports car I will invest in a Lotus.

Oh wait, the Mustang is a MUSCLE CAR, not a sports car. A 4 cyl doesn't belong in a Mustang.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No replacement for displacement but the numbers are a pretty respectable gain especially since ford will continue the warranty with that kit.
Ford almost had to do something with the RS having the 2.3 EB with LOTS more HP -- and yes I know the engines are slightly different.....

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
"No replacement for displacement" is somewhat of an antiquated statement.

There has always been replacements... less weight, turbo, supercharging & better (dual clutch/more gears) transmission.

But only recently have they really all come together with technology and been a good replacement. Better more reliable turbos. With aluminum fabrication technology getting better you can shave hundred of lbs off a car, IF you want to.

Perfect example is the F-150. It has gotten all 3 with great technological advanncements: 3.5L turbo engine, lightweight aluminum body, and now 10-speed automatic transmission. A 2017 F-150 ecoboost, with 10-speed will destroy larger engine trucks easily.

I've been daily driving F-150's for the past 10 years. I've gone through 4 generations: (all with towing packages & lower gears)
2006 F150 XL 4x4 with 5.4L
2009 F150 Lariat with 5.4L
2012 F150 FX2 with 3.5L ecoboost
2015 F150 XLT with 3.5L ecoboost

2006 & 2009 were gas guzzlers with out that much real power.
2012 I was so impressed with how fast and quiet the ecoboost was.
Now my 2015 is even better, lighter, faster, better gas mileage. Its a dream to drive. Its what a modern truck should be.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
with a $7000 price premium the GT should be better.

remember I've got the V6......
Well, that's about the same amount ($7,000) that I have invested in my home stereo system for better sound, so the 0 to 60 time on the GT is a free bonus I guess, right?:whistling:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Pretty cool that they are squeezing more and more power out of it. Until the motors start blowing up. They can keep the fart can mustang. I'll stick with the old 5 oh...just preference.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Nice for those who want it.
Me, I still love my 3,7 Cyclone V6 at 305 hp.
*********************************BUT*******************************************************

Any way you look at it:
Coyote 5.0 V8 is still the """KING"""

Ronnie

·
Registered
15 Posts

Except for lots of displacement with forced induction ;)

I'm totally onboard that the V8 should the be the muscle car the Mustang is suppose to be which is why I bought mine in a V8. :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Electric cars are very good too on 0-60, maybe you want to delete your mufflers, too, while we are at this (ecoboost vs V8 ...). Muscle cars are not just about one or two specifications. They are about an attitude.

V8 sounds and feelings : I will always love you.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Aw man, nothing like promoting foreign car makers to begin with but second those cars are *****g annoyingly awful to hear racing down the road. The funny thing is when you see a 50 year old gigolo with some bimbo in the passenger side screaming down the road load rider style bouncing up and down. Seriously I would feel a little weird even being seen in one let alone driving one. Nothing compares to American HorsePower..

·
Registered
349 Posts
I find it interesting when folks say that the Mustang is supposed to have a v8. Since the inception of the Mustang in 64 there has been way more 4cyl and 6cyl Mustangs made than v8s.

Also, if you factor in the differences in the way HP was measured back in the 60s and early 70s the 4cyl Ecoboost Mustang makes more HP than every v8 Mustang up to 2005 with the exception of the early 2000s Cobras. And make the same power from 05 until the Coyote arrived with the exception of the Shelby cars.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I find it interesting when folks say that the Mustang is supposed to have a v8. Since the inception of the Mustang in 64 there has been way more 4cyl and 6cyl Mustangs made than v8s.

Also, if you factor in the differences in the way HP was measured back in the 60s and early 70s the 4cyl Ecoboost Mustang makes more HP than every v8 Mustang up to 2005 with the exception of the early 2000s Cobras. And make the same power from 05 until the Coyote arrived with the exception of the Shelby cars.
It is true that the little EcoBoost 4 cylinder makes more HP than my stock 1997 Cobra made, and at less than 1/2 the displacement, that IS amazing............but I guarantee you that the EcoBoost engine is NEVER going to make me want to have the top down and floor it in a tunnel just to listen to the music the exhaust pipes are making.
I've yet to hear an aftermarket exhaust that sounds good on the V6 3.5 EcoBoost either -- they all sound like an old Lumina 3.8 with a clapped out muffler.......but I still think that would make a GREAT engine in the GT....put the new Raptor engine in there, Ford!!!

·
Premium Member
6,964 Posts
New EcoBoost tune "shames the V8?" Not on my watch!

Last I checked there's at least 5 Mustang V8's with higher hp ratings that the ecoboost.

Pick your poison.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Last I checked there's at least 5 Mustang V8's with higher hp ratings that the ecoboost.

Pick your poison.
If those 5 were from the 60s to 72 take about 1/3 off the rated number and you will be equivalent to the net rating of the Ecoboost. Folks used to blame it on emissions when an engine that was rated 375HP in 71 was now 250HP in 73. Emissions had some impact but it was mostly the government mandated change in the rating system and standardized testing.

·
Premium Member
6,964 Posts
New EcoBoost tune "shames the V8?" Not on my watch!

Yet they were under rated.

Pick your poison.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts