Mustang Evolution Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Use what is on your car. The engine doesn't care if you have the coil packs or COPs on it, the spark will be the same coming from your 96-98 wires. Just replace the wires with Motorcraft ones from Rockauto. Plugs should be autolite APP104s. Torque to 12-15ft lbs with antiseize.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
thanks! I was just about to ask what plugs you recommend. Am I looking for double platinum?

Engine took 6 days to arrive so it just came yesterday but had to visit my mom for her birthday after work so my buddy is coming over after work tonight so we can pull the engine off. Ran out of time the other day because I had to get ready for work. Everything is off ready to come out now that I bought an engine hoist.

As far as the new engine Im going to take off the power steering and possibly replace because the one from the mustang was leaking so I probably wont swap that one and swap out the alternator. I am ordering the ford racing pi intake and should arrive Thursday but probably won't replace it until it arrives.

What do you recommend I do about the fuel rail and injectors? The mustang has been sitting for 4 years if that matters

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
APP104=autolite2xplatinum. AP104 is regular plat, autolite 104s are copper. Then like XP is iridium or some craziness.

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Pump will be the same. You'll need to swap over the Mustang pickup when you do the oil pan swap. Easy. Oil? Motorcraft or Super Tech from Wal Mart. Napa Gold filter. Done.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I have stripped down grand marquis engine. Waiting on new gaskets/seals for: valve cover, timing belt cover, intake, exhaust, fuel injectors. new spark plugs, wires, coils have arrived.

About the injectors, can I use the ones from the grand marquis? They look so new and mine are full of rust and oxidation.

While those come I have cleaned the engine and going to paint it and clean the engine bay

·
Registered
8,244 Posts
If the new valve covers are the same as your Mustang covers, you can use them.

The injectors are color coded to determine the lbs/hr of fuel they will deliver. If the new fuel injectors are the same color as your original Mustang injectors, you can use them.
If they are a different color, they can still be used, but the engines computer will need to be changed to reflect the use of the different flow rate of the injectors being used. In other words, the engine will need to be re-tuned for the different injectors.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Ive had some very busy two weeks so I am just continuing again

When I removed the intake and gasket from the engine and cleaned the surface I noticed some surfaces there were pitted. Is this going to be an issue when I put things back together? Any suggestions? Do I have to return the engine?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts