Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have been asking around trying to figure this out. Which will be better for the money and for the gain to the car: a new engine or a super charger???

and then...

what all do i need and how much will it cost??

and then...

should i try and install it or take it somewhere??

-Sorry for all the questions in one post but thanx for the help and advice

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Supercharger = 3k +/-
New Engine = 10k +/-

Have you ever done major work on an engine? If not, take it somewhere and let someone who has done it before do it.

(Pssst....notice how the "+/-" means give or take. Don't start yelling at me. ;))

·
Registered
941 Posts
10k? Where'd you pull that number from? You can get a 4.2l f150 motor and with some buddies have it in your car for <1k.

first of all, what year stang do you have. also, what are your future plans, budget and goal. if you have an older v6 it may be worth your while to go ahead and get another engine if yours isn't running great, or if it is, then perhaps a supercharger. need more information.

10k? seriously... there's an SC shortblock i could pick up tomorrow for less than 200 in LA (state).

·
Registered
941 Posts
he didn't say anything about a v8 swap? a friend of mine sold his 3k mi old '02 gt 4.6l with tranny for 1k. what are you talking about that is 10k?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Dom said:
Most of my friends have V8s. I know the prices on new small blocks. ;)

unless your friends are buying race crate motors from Jegs, if they paid 10k for a stock v8 please slap them for me.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
well it all determines if you have friends or not. Some people done have friends to give them great deals. If you use a shop to do all your work and get the parts you need for a engine swap the bottom price will be 4 to 5 K. If you decided to get a HiPerformance motor built and installed you aree looking at 6K up If you do it yourself 3k and up. You can find a used Supercharger kit kit ready to install for as little as $1300, I did or you can pay 3000 for a new one

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tire said:
first of all, what year stang do you have. also, what are your future plans, budget and goal.
i got a 2000 V6
right now on the engine all i got is a MAC CAI kit

future plans depends on the money flow
but i want my exhaust, either a supercharger or V8, springs (getting in the spring), strut tower brace, tint (?), body kit, alarm, those are the major ones.

any suggetions on cheap ways to increase HP/Torgue let me know.
thanks again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You should also take insurance into concideration if cost is a big issue

·
Registered
941 Posts
you can find a used supercharger for a couple grand that'll have you putting out stock GT power. power isn't all the great without other modifications though to harness them. i mean, do you want 300hp but only your right rear tire spinning? probably not. you'd probably be happy with the basic bolt ons for now. a strut tower brace isn't the first step you should take in stiffening your stang... getting a take off rear sway bar is a cheap and easy mod, you might try that first. go to v8 websites, they are always upgrading to bigger adjustable sway bars and are getting rid of their old stuff for cheap. good luck.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Tire said:
a strut tower brace isn't the first step you should take in stiffening your stang... getting a take off rear sway bar is a cheap and easy mod, you might try that first.
look into subframe connectors before a rear sway bar. that will join the two parts of the unibody structure and actually help lower 60' times as your chassis wont be flexing during launches

·
You want to **** me?
4,043 Posts
10 fuckin grand... screw that i paid 2600 for my new 3.8 installed with labor and everything. 15 year olds need to get their numbers figured out

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'd look into just building up the stock bottom end first and the get a blower down the road.

Use your current block and crank and then get a set of Ross or Wiseco Forged Pistons and a set of 94-95 Supercoupe Rods. Then get it assembed at a machine shop and your bottom end will be ready for some serious boost on a budget price.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts