Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I put on a dual exhaust this weekend, really cheap. I found a new coated MAC off road pipe cheap! $98 delivered. then bought 2 new flowmasters off e-bay $37 a piece. MIL eliminators installed $25 ebay. After about $30 at Pep Boys in Misc exhaust pipes and flanges and hangers, I have a LOUD exhaust. I installed turndowns right after the mufflers so the sound echos from under the car. It took about four hours of lying on my back, but it was cheaper than having Midas or someone do it.

·
You want to **** me?
4,043 Posts
cheaper then midas and a lot more fun ;) i installed my exhaust too... fun times

<----- CAN weld (haha brent)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, all the clamps were bolt on. I do not have any way of recording a sound clip, sorry. But it is loud and deep (like my women)!

·
Banned
11,872 Posts
sweet clamps are bolt on. Can you tell me where you got the clamps and a part numbe rif possible. SO I know I am getting what I need

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will try to take some pictures tonight. All the parts came from the auto parts store.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
In the greater good of all exhaust I would at least tack weld the exhaust system Vibration and contraction and expansion due to extreme heat and cold will loosen clamps and rattle and can even cause you to leave parts on the road. Does not cost much and added insurance

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like a good idea. I now need to find someone who can weld......

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
Dom said:
<---I can weld. haha sorry brent.
They call me Jesse James at the shop! :headbang: :p

I don't think it matters if you weld it or not, the carbon will seal up the leaks anyway.
Welding is not for leaks it is to keep you from loosing stuff going down the road in the future

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
if you tack it, it will rattle loose anyway. My friend tack welded his glass packs on and he dragged them home for 6 miles and didn't even know it.

Might as well go all out and weld the whole thing up.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
I agree it is better to weld than use all clamps but most of young guys want to spend twice as much money and buy bolt on kits when you could have just gone to a shop with your own mufflers or use theirs and spent less money. I have been preaching that for years. Yes clamps can come loose and rattle when tack welding but a good tack weld is very strong. Did you know your frame on your car is tack welded to the body and all cars are done this way

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
The use a different type of tack wleding than what someone with a MIG welder would do though. The factory (you can also go buy one.) has a welder that looks like a C Clamp. The two pieces of the sheet metal are layed out and a whole is punched in one and they press that welder to it and bam. Done.

If you wanna see one of the welds, look at the radiator support in the car, or, the bed in a track. Esp. around the 91s.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
I have run a factory tack welder with the jaws. A proper tack weld using a argon gas and the proper wire or rods will give you a steadfast weld, the problem is most muffler shops use the cheap ass welding rods and spend little or no time preping the surface to be welded that is why they dont last. I spent 2 year as a A+ welder at chemical plant being built on Nuclear plant standards for welding.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
hey brent i can hook you up with a welder, i know a good exhaust shop just put i ton with the flanges they give you tehn drive down and get him to weld it all up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts