Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally installed my SSX metal intake, but seem to have lost power on the top end. I have a lot more bottom end now. but for some reason the top seems to be slacking. It may be to much air and not enough fuel though. I also have the internal air horn that I need to put install.

According to the website the airhorn is suppose to be for N/A anyway. I'll try this in the morning.

Or could my problem strictly be fuel considering I still have the stock injectors and fuel pump. That is the 14 lb injectors that I am using. Mods listed below, and the chip is not dynoed as of yet, waiting to get stall converter first. Just needed to get rid of the rev limiter.

Side note, right before the chip my check engine light was on and the cats were below threashold, usually means the cats are getting clogged up. Could this be my problem as well?

·
Registered
941 Posts
who installed it? if the gasket sticks out at all into the runner it can cause hell.
a bolt on won't be making your car lean out. even with tiny 14#ers. fuel is not your problem, unless you screwed something up somehow but that's not what happened i'm sure.

and yes if your car is in safe mode its going to run richer anyways... less powe.r

·
Registered
941 Posts
i'm trying to understand your first post.

CEL = safe mode. computer goes "oh ****" and runs her on the rich side. not sure what else takes place.

crapped out cats will rob power but nothing huge in comparison from the day before. sounds like its the intakes alright. so who installed them?

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
I would have to say your SSX intake is too large for your setup. A SSX intake is mainly ment for those with a power adder or those who have an extreme N/A setup like mine. Basically you have too big of an intake which causes the air in your intake to lose velocity. You want the size of your intake to somewhat reflect the size of your engine per-say. So if you have a 3.8L engine, you'd want an intake that was approx. 4.5L so that you're not causing your intake to become dry, meaning no air. Think of your intake as a reserve tank. If you have air on reserve, then your engine won't be starved and the air can move fast and freely, but if you have too much air then your intake will become flooded and the air won't be able to move as fast and freely. Your SSX is about 6.0+ liters just so you know. Does that make better sense? Maybe that airhorn will help you out.

·
Banned
11,872 Posts
It sounds like 97Stallion is correct in that the Intake is just to big for your current set up. Get the airhorn in and see if that helps.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
tire said:
97S, what are the specs on it, cfm?
Don't quote me on this but I think the SSX intake takes a 60mm TB, so it's about 600cfm.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
I would not worry about the TB the engine will only use what it can use. Now with respect to larger Plenum areas like the SSX you should be having more of a low end loss and better upper end do to better breathing but you dont so I am going to say the intake is not the problem and it is a seal or a vacuum line. Something in the system might not be plugged up or leaking. also check the injectors and plug wires.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Danger Dude said:
I would not worry about the TB the engine will only use what it can use. Now with respect to larger Plenum areas like the SSX you should be having more of a low end loss and better upper end do to better breathing but you dont so I am going to say the intake is not the problem and it is a seal or a vacuum line. Something in the system might not be plugged up or leaking. also check the injectors and plug wires.
I know the SSX intake comes with an aluminum spacer, did you use a gasket on both sides of the spacer?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes I used a gasket on both sides of the engine. I install everything myself including the cam in it. As far as vacumn leakes, I barely have anything left of vacumn, deleted the EGR and evap canister.

I did install the airhorns that seemed to help. I'm going to go with a bigger fuel pump and see if that helps.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
not that you dont have alot more air flow than stock but that intake is still to big probably, you need to upgrade injectors and fuel pump and get a dyno tune to see how the a/f is doing that may totaly fix your problem.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
i think you are leaning out up top. the 14# injectors seem too small for ported heads and cam setup as well as an intake that just flows too much air. What I would do is to get a set of 19# injectors off ebay for cheap (stock 5.0s came with them and since everyone upgrades, they are cheap online) and then a Pro-M MAF calibrated for 19# injectors. That will not cause a CEL light and it will hold you over until you get dyno tuned.

as for Rob's statement, the 3.8L sucks all the air it needs. It is true that it can be too big, but with his ported head and cam setup, it may be sucking enough air already.

·
Banned
11,872 Posts
dapack69 said:
Fuel is the problem. I borrowed my friends AFPR and his gauge. Bumped the pressure up to 50 and my car loves the extra fuel. Just need to get the bigger fuel pump and injectors and everything should be fine. I'm going to be getting 24 lber's though.
Cool man glad you found the problem

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Glad you got it all fixed. Now what you need is a SCT tuner kit. And I would HIGLY recommend against getting 24# injectors. I thought I needed them at one time too, but 19# injectors will work better. Did you understand what I said about your SSX intake? I have no idea how that airhorn works, but that actually fixed your problem more than you know.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I had 24#ers on my V6, and I think I had too much injector for it, I kept having problems with it flooding out, but then I was also having problems with chips not being burned right, when I finally got a chip that was burned properly, she did run. I also had adjustable pressure regulator, and the 230lph fuel pump I think it was. Those are a PIA to install by the way!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
by the way, my GT is still running fine on its stock 19# injectors, at about 300+bhp.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
Yep I will also Agree with them above 19# injectors are the way to go. I have all the engine mods and 19# injectors work excellent and they are way cheaper

1 - 20 of 26 Posts