Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
ME Bloodhound
14,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got my 2001 Bullitt, and I need to get another key, since these are chipped would I be able to find one online and get it cut or does it absolutely have to come from the dealer? I can get it cut locally for $2 if I have the blank.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
If you only have 1 key it must be programmed by ford or someone who has a PATS programmer. Once you have 2 keys you can program as many as you like....but you have to have 2 first

·
Registered
847 Posts
Ace Hardware and some locksmiths now do chip keys about 80 bucks much cheaper than dealer.got mine @Ace. Keyfobs r on ebay for around $5 and you can program up 2 4 of those yourself easily

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
If I buy a car from a dealer, before I sign papers, I say, does it have 2 keys? If they say no, I say u gonna get me one made? They say yes lol.

·
Registered
634 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
If its a ford certified used car, 2 keys is one of the things on the checklist. Lol. Just got the wife's car at ford a couple of weeks ago. They made me a key. They wanna sell it, they won't let the price of a key stand in the way of a sell.

·
ME Bloodhound
14,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If its a ford certified used car, 2 keys is one of the things on the checklist. Lol. Just got the wife's car at ford a couple of weeks ago. They made me a key. They wanna sell it, they won't let the price of a key stand in the way of a sell.
We got it used at a Toyota dealer lol

·
Registered
341 Posts
You can also make a regular key anywhere that will open your door it just won't start the car. (NoChip)
yeah i did this because i only have one and it doesnt start the car but its worth while if you ever lock your keys in the car you can use the other to open the door

·
Registered
344 Posts
I got my car 9 yrs ago with one key and everyone says i need another key to program the key fob or to program another key. Every year i say I'm going to do it... and every year i never do!

·
Registered
74 Posts
So I just got my 2001 Bullitt, and I need to get another key, since these are chipped would I be able to find one online and get it cut or does it absolutely have to come from the dealer? I can get it cut locally for $2 if I have the blank.
usually a locksmith shop can cut a new key, but with cars and thier computers you need a chip key to start, most anywhere it will cost around $80. the chip runs 8 ohms to the computer to let it start the car. No chip key will only open the doors. The only way I have got around that was to have this great auto electric mechanic do some soldering in the main computer to tell it there were 8 ohms in my worn out chip key, cost me $25

·
Registered
634 Posts
Only for 94 and 95 sn95s yes but when they went modular in 96 they upgraded the computer to. In 94 and 95 they had obd1 which didnt require a chip(dont quote me on that) but in 96 they switched to obd ll which requires the chip.
I believe you are correct. My cousin has a 95 and I don't think his has the chip. But both my 96 and 97 had it.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Well my aunt had a 94 when i was alittle kid and the key didnt have a big plastic thing covering the top half of the key like my 98 does. So i did some research and thats how that turned out

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
ebay has blanks you can get (or used to) then have someone local program (find the local place first)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts