Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lowered my 2012 1.5" with some new SR springs. I wanted to break them in easy so for the first week or so, I drove slow, like 20mph around post(Army), and finally decided to take a long trip. I drove about 100 miles and I started hearing a faint rattling in the rear of my pony. Only between 50-60 mph, though. Could that be them settling in or maybe something loose? Anyone got any ideas?

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Find the nearest car lift and look

I think this is something your gonna have to look at your self. You need to find a lift to raise the car up and check out what is rattling before tragedy strikes.:confused:

It could be just a tail pipe or muffler but why take the chance it is not something coming apart.

Ronnie

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did. I can't find anything. I have an after market exhaust and its fine. Rims are fine. Checked it all...

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Strange

As long as you know nothing is loose and coming apart just drive it and see if it don't fix itself. If it still rattles it could be a loose baffle in a muffler. Rare but known to happen and drive mechanic's crazy looking for it.

A rattle can drive you crazy until you find out what it is. I had a Mini JCW before this Mustang and it had a terrible rattle on the passengers side. ( Not all the time) it drove me batty until I found it never happened when I had a passenger. Was it the passenger seat? NO, Was it the kick panel in the door? NO, It turned out to be the seat belt connection hitting the side panel just enough to rattle if it was not facing away from the panel.

I hope your rattle is this simple and easy to find. If your mustang has the rear seat backs you can lower you need to put them down to hear the rattle better. Have someone ride with you and let them listen.
Ronnie

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have mufflers. I have the Pypes pipe bombs. However, the back seat down idea? ****ing GENIUS! I never thought about that, man. Thanks for that. I'm definitely gonna see if I can't do that to hone the rattle in. Thanks again bro for the advice.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not even maybe taking a drive with the music up? It's a really quiet rattle, but all I can think of is my rear axle is gonna fall off. I know that's extreme, but I worry about my baby so much. She's the first brand new car I've bought... It didn't happen at all the last sixty miles of the trip, but I'm still worried. You like them, though? I love the look on my 19" AMR's.

·
Dragon Tail Master
1,336 Posts
Check the end links on the sway bar and the shock bolts, but it sounds like it is an over the axle pipe hitting the suspension. it is lower and things are closer.

·
Dragon Tail Master
1,336 Posts
I had to cut the OTA pipe about half an inch to slide both sides on my 2010 forward, no more clunk.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Did you get an adjustable panhard bar when you lowered it? Or get the car aligned after you did it? Could be the rear came out of alignment.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a panhard bar. No need to adjust it on a slam. All still is the same. And ummm... The rear is fixed... Doesn't get aligned... Cant be aligned... But yes, I had an alignment done by a professional.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts