Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With only a few simple bolt ons, and drag slicks, this new GT beats the Hellcat every time in the 1/4 mile. To be fair, the Hellcat driver is only capable of low 11’s, but it does look like he is really trying and experimenting with different launch rpm’s. He is shifting pretty quickly as well, so I don’t know what else he could do to improve his times — perhaps drag slicks for him too would quicken his 60 foot time, as the ‘Stang gets him by car lengths at the start.....

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/modded-2018-mustang-gt-drag-races-hellcat-humiliation-is-hard-129686.html

·
Super Moderator
17,945 Posts
Modded Mustang 10 speed auto with interior removed+E85 vs mostly stock Hellcat with 6 speed manual. Troll article. No **** the Mustang will win lol.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
It looks like the Hellcat is on a drag radial as well.

It's that 10 speed that makes a big difference... They really exploit all of the available engine power.
Even with the mods, and weight reduction of the Mustang, it's still working with a 100+ horsepower handicap. I think that it's fairly impressive that a normally aspirated Ford can, at least, hang with Dodge's supercharged factory hot rod.
I believe that it would be a much closer race with a automatic Hellcat, with similar mods.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It looks like the Hellcat is on a drag radial as well.

It's that 10 speed that makes a big difference... They really exploit all of the available engine power.
Even with the mods, and weight reduction of the Mustang, it's still working with a 100+ horsepower handicap. I think that it's fairly impressive that a normally aspirated Ford can, at least, hang with Dodge's supercharged factory hot rod.
I believe that it would be a much closer race with a automatic Hellcat, with similar mods.
There is indeed over a 100 HP deficit for the Mustang — but the Hellcat also weighs many hundreds of pounds (4,439 — !!) more than that Mustang, especially with the weight reduction in taking out some of the interior for the ‘Stang.
I don’t think perhaps it is traction as much as good old inertia off the line. Trying to get 2 and a 1/4 TONS moving is harder than 1 and 3/4, every day, all day.

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
I'll take a Hellcat over a new GT anytime just based on styling alone.

·
Premium Member
6,813 Posts

Agreed. They look good, even for the thicker body. Even more appealing is what’s rumored to come, engine wise. I’d take an SRT/Scat Pack with it in it over the new Mustang I want, the Bullitt.

Pick your poison.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
I've been hearing some chatter that Dodge is testing a potential 8 second capable car... Likely powered by their rumored 7.0 litre (426) engine.

Now that would be something!

·
Super Moderator
17,945 Posts
Agreed. With the 8 speed auto tho. Hell if I was to buy one of the new sports cars dollar for dollar with looks being a big consideration I'd probably go with a 6.4L RT Scat Pack with the auto. Just set it up for straight line and maybe spray it although I'm not sure what the 6.4L can hold. Probably enough.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
That Hellcat driver is actually doing a damn good job getting that car off the line with a 3 season tire.

It looks like he is running the Vredestein Vorti tires, likely a 315/35/20 on the rear judging by how wide it is compared to the rear fender, which is a solid 3 season tire. Also, looks like he has some suspension work done. I'm curious as to what it is, regardless, pulling a sub 1.9 60' is damn good driving in a manual without slicks.

I've tried launching a few of them (stock and lightly modded with manual trans) and it is so stupid easy to just blow the tires off for the first two gears, even on a prepped track. Also, when shifting like that, wheel spin into 4th gear can become an issue, especially on the street.

If that guy would have had a drag pack on his Hellcat and his suspension dialed in (on a drag pack), I would imagine he could drop around .4 seconds and pick up another 4 - 7 MPH. So, around an 11.0-11.2 @ 128 - 131 MPH. Or, just a pulley and tune and it's absolutely game over for the Mustang unless he breaks the driveshaft or half shafts, which is 101% possible if it hasn't been replaced.

Still ... the new 10 spd wondertrans Mustangs run good. The 6 spds .... not so much.

·
Super Moderator
17,945 Posts
The 6R80 does pretty damn good TBTH... I'd still love to pick up a 1st gen A6 Coyote if I rotate back to the States or if someone over here has one for sale in a year or two.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Well, if you want 20 year old Mercedes tech under the seat of your pants, get the Hellcat....I’ll take the modern chassis of the new Mustang on a twisty road every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
FCA desperately needs to update the basic structure of their cars, although I’d have to agree that they have done a fantastic job getting the same-old same-old in the current cars to look and accelerate VERY well.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Well, if you want 20 year old Mercedes tech under the seat of your pants, get the Hellcat....I’ll take the modern chassis of the new Mustang on a twisty road every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
FCA desperately needs to update the basic structure of their cars, although I’d have to agree that they have done a fantastic job getting the same-old same-old in the current cars to look and accelerate VERY well.
You may want to rethink that "modern chassis of the new Mustang" thought. The widebody Challengers on all season Pirelli tires are faster around VIR than the older Ford GT supercar, the C6 Z06, 5th gen Camaro SS 1LE, 1st - 3rd gen Viper and every Mustang GT, Cobra and Shelby with the exception of the 2018 Mustang GT PP2 and the GT350(R) all of which come with track tires (PP2 and GT350R) or summer tires (GT350). That is an impressive list of kills for a 4400 lb car on 20 year old Mercedes tech.

I think by now, it's well known that Ford failed to hit their handling goals with the initial S550 chassis. The 2015 Mustang GT was supposed to be faster than the Boss Laguna Seca and at worst equal the times of the 5th gen Camaro SS 1LE. They never achieved those goals (with the 2015 car). It wasn't because of engineering, it was the last minute changes in replacing parts of the car that were supposed to be aluminum back to steel for cost savings (aluminum F series took priority and pricing on S550 jumped more than expected and would've jumped even more with aluminum) and the S550 not hitting the safety goals Ford set precedent over (Euro NCAP). Does anyone remember how the S550 was supposed to be a few hundred pounds lighter than the S197?? Then within the last month or two before the S550 hit showrooms it was announced that in fact they gained around 100-250+ lbs. That is why and that is why the S550 wasn't all that impressive when it launched. Ford has slowly started to claw back performance but it seems like they can't do much more without the removal of significant weight or using huge super sticky tires with horrible treadwear as a crutch.

If you want a modern chassis that doesn't require racing slicks to have good performance, get a Camaro (if you can see out of it) or a Corvette.

Also, Scotty, I was referring to the MT82 cars. The autos in the 2011+ Mustangs have been great.

·
Super Moderator
17,945 Posts
Yeah seeing out of the Camaro is... fun... but I also kinda like being bunkered in when I sit in one... I dunno. I grew up driving stuff with horrific blind spots so...

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Lorraine's driver
8,188 Posts
Same

I don't dislike the 2015-18's, but I prefer the Challenger bodystyle and feel on the road. I just think it feels more muscle-car like. I also think people are over-exaggerating on the lack of handling capability. I haven't driven a new GT with magna-ride though, so maybe that's what everyone is comparing them too lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts