Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to you all!! I'm from the Boston,MA area and have been a Mustang Fanatic since I was about six years old. My current Stang is a 1998 Black with Saddle interior V6 and "Sport Appearance Package" automatic;it has approximately 125,000 miles on. It is bone stock except for tinted windows all around. When I purchased the car in May of this year there was an overwelming smell of raw gas;the O-ring seal from the filler to the gas tank had failed. Got that replaced;now all I get is a pretty strong exhaust odor heavy with gas. The odor gets less obvious when the windows are open. It does not really make that much of a difference if the vent is open or closed. Now,heres the kicker, I took the car to a local exhaust shop to see if I had an exhaust leek without any perforations to the system. They put it up on the lift with the engine running and checked it out from manifold to tip; there were no leeks at all,even blocking the system! I've had no CEL's whatsoever. Car runs smooth as silk,no hesitation at WOT. Any ideas out there as to what it could be???:headbang::idea:

·
Registered
17 Posts
wouldnt hurt to get a second opinion, and id also double check the whole filler tube setup. mine had a good size leak there at one point and i thought i sealed it well and i could still smell fumes. either that or you might have to drop your tank to check the rubber seal on the fuel pump assembly. nice stang BTW and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
59 Posts
The cats are probably gutted, the O2 sensors think you are running lean and dumping more fuel in the the cylinder.
What is your fuel mileage like?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you all for your ideas and advice! My gas mileage has dropped significantly since my last fill from about 16 mpg to 11 mpg in one month. Everything appears to be ok. I will be taking a closer look this week on my day off. Thanks again!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts