Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two new quaters that im putting in soon im going to move the wheel wells in 2 in with out havering to touch the frame but is there anyone with any tips or tricks i should know before i take this challenge on?

·
Registered
216 Posts
That's one of those projects I wished I had paid someone to do. It looks good but took me about 10 hours total (didnt include grinding welds smooth). Fit and cut, repeat, repeat, repeat etc.
I butt welded mine below the bodyline and 2 inches from the side scoop. Also was a good time to clean out and use rust converter behind all those areas you can't usually get to.
I started by taping off the areas I was replacing. Then made additional marks with height measurements, not sure if was really needed but wasn't going to move the car until I was done, just didnt want to chance the body sagging on me. After that I chopped out along my marks and used the cutout as the template for the new panel. I fit and trimmed for a good solid hour just to get it perfect. After the final fit, I tacked the top in about 10 places and rechecked all my gaps and alignment. After that was some good quality (sarcasm) time tacking around the whole thing with plenty of spaces in between the welds, you want to be careful not to build up the heat too much and warp it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Do one side at a time using the other side as a reference for measurements. Check out my build for pics and any further questions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts