Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all!!

(Mods- I apologize if this is in the incorrect forum. I figured it was S197 specific.)

I had new tires for the rears installed yesterday. They are 275/50-17 Nitto NT450. I know there have been lots of questions on different forums regarding tire sizes for the stock 17x8 wheels. Some people say 275s are ok and some do not?

I went with the taller tire to compensate for my 4.10 gears. With this tire size my effective gear ratio is now 4.00 so I did not lose too much and it looks ten times better IMO.

According to Nitto the recommended Wheel Width Range is 7.5"-9.5" for these tires. Keep in mind that this does not mean a 275/50-17 is the most "optimal" fit for an 8" wide wheel. I do fully understand this and have taken it into consideration. Now I am not looking to EVER autocross or road-race the car so handling was not what I was looking for. I may go to the dragstrip a few times a year just to have fun.

In my opinion these look great and ride great. The car is smooth and does not feel floaty or drift around on the highway. The bulge was not as bad as I thought it would be but is noticeable. All in all I think it looks almost nostalgic and gives the car an "old school muscle" look.

I went with the taller tire to compensate for my 4.10 gears. With this tire size my effective gear ratio is now 4.00 so I did not lose too much and it looks ten times better IMO.

Here are some pictures.....what do you think?

275/50-17 Rear @32 psi
235/55-17 Front @ 32 psi
Stock Suspension

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have not heard that you mount a 275 on an 8 inch wide rim. I usually you need a 9 inch rim. How does it ride!? I can't pull up the photos :(

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not heard that you mount a 275 on an 8 inch wide rim. I usually you need a 9 inch rim. How does it ride!? I can't pull up the photos :(
Smooth. I do not take turns at high speeds though. But doing spirited driving I have not had a problem. It doesn't feel unplanted or anything. It is a better ride because of the taller tire too.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I have 275s on my 15x8

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey, Mav, I really like the old school muscle look of those 275's. How have they held up over this past year? Any issues or concerns? I appreciate your insight, as I'm getting ready to put some new tires on my 05 convertible and am contemplating this same set up

1 - 6 of 6 Posts