Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, so I got a 1990 lx the other day...the guy I bought it from was really cool and I could tell he spent a lot of quality time on the car. It's lowered a pretty good bit has the hotshkis camber plates up front. Well I guess I'm getting around to the point of going fast in this car. I may hit 100 this morning and felt some vibration so eased off, but the car is set up sooo stiff...I mean its alright but seems I really have to grip the wheel for pavement imperfections...I don't know he said I could soften up the ride. I want to be able to go fast...all out and feel confindent. I may have to call him back (which he encourged me to do) about this.

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
hi, so I got a 1990 lx the other day...the guy I bought it from was really cool and I could tell he spent a lot of quality time on the car. It's lowered a pretty good bit has the hotshkis camber plates up front. Well I guess I'm getting around to the point of going fast in this car. I may hit 100 this morning and felt some vibration so eased off, but the car is set up sooo stiff...I mean its alright but seems I really have to grip the wheel for pavement imperfections...I don't know he said I could soften up the ride. I want to be able to go fast...all out and feel confindent. I may have to call him back (which he encourged me to do) about this.
I have found that highways that feel smooth with just very minor bumps over the asphalt joints, feel like you are hitting logs at high speeds.
I would guess that at elevated speeds your suspension just does not have time to react.

The vibration could be caused by tires that are no longer properly balanced, or inflated or it could be a driveshaft or U-Joint issue.

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
Mine has the same kind of vibration but ours starts out at 40mph and gets worse the faster you go when your going 60mph and let off gas it feels like your hitting the rumble strips... Really want to get this fixed

·
Premium Member
3,444 Posts
MC770 said:
Mine has the same kind of vibration but ours starts out at 40mph and gets worse the faster you go when your going 60mph and let off gas it feels like your hitting the rumble strips... Really want to get this fixed
Sounds like you may need to check your mounts.

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
Transmission? Engine? Specifics lol Hopefully trans mounts cause we gotta get my reverse lights working too lol

·
Premium Member
3,444 Posts
MC770 said:
Transmission? Engine? Specifics lol Hopefully trans mounts cause we gotta get my reverse lights working too lol
Sorry was yellin at the kids lol. I would check the trans first, and your plug may have come off the transmission for the lights. If your engine has a lot of movement when you give it gas, those mounts are probably shot too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thats some good advice thanks...so tires balance and pressure....well I know they are new wraped around pony r's and they're huge IDK 9.5 all around, I know axle's changed to 5 lug to help out on torque. I noticed whell weights on rims sometimes in odd (odd to me) locations, like not lined up. I've been meaning to check pressure and never had such low profile tires... they are bridgestone z rated, 17". I guess I assumed the tires wheels are good or real close. The strange brand shocks I think sounds closer to the bouncing I was experiencing at almost 100 mph...I know they're set up tight. I wanna say it was more front endish, but things like this are hard to pin point. driveshaft and or u joint????hopefully not, I know its supposed to me aluminum but I will go fast (after I get some liability insurance) again with these things in mind.

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
Most all tires are initially balanced when they are installed, but hardly anyone has them rebalanced after they have been on the car for a while.
This leads to vibrations or wobbles that may be hard to find and cure. They can be constant or happen only at certain speeds or during certain situations.

There are numerous scenarios that can lead to them being out of balance from minor to major balance issues. A panic stop that locks the wheels can scrub off tread on one side of the tire, a burnout or wheelspin and a bit of wheelhop can do the same, but in more than one place on the circumference of the tire, an improperly installed wheel weight can come off, etc. etc. There can also be tire issues such as knots or bulges from tread separation and slipped belts in the tire. Tires that are run underinflated can heat up causing tread separation and belt slippage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts