Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in the process of trying to pick up a 66 Coupe. Been sitting under a shed for about 17 years. Looks pretty original. Im good with body work and paint, but this will be my first engine swap (Not into the sixer in it) Looking at dropping in a 302 (or ?) and tranny. Whats best? anything wrong with just getting a rebuilt? Crates are outrageous, not sure I can swing that. It will be a weekender car for fun but I want it fast and reliable to.

Basically, any good places to look?

Thanks for any advice, this is fun learning all the in and outs.

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
I hear a 351 may fit... *waits for hottcobra*

·
Registered
384 Posts
i've heard they fit as well... depends on how "restored" you want it... i would say stroked 351 with a t-56... i've seen a couple articles on the net on the older mustangs with this combo... you have to do some snipping and cutting to the tunnel, but everyone made it sound easy enough.

just make sure what ever you do that you enjoy it.

·
Registered
504 Posts
If you go with a V8 make sure to find some springs from a V8 and put in some subframes, and a strut tower brace. Inspect the shock tower real well and frame(unibody). Floors, trunkpan etc. Very common for these to go first. Enjoy the car though, lots of fun.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will do, its an Arizona car, so rust is minimal. I plan to pull the body off and work from the frame up. Im going for a more retro setup.even still has the original AC in it.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Got with a 351W weights the same as your 302 and you can get more stroke from the block, as a tranny a four speed would be nice but for economy and that real wow factor go get a T56. Also if you want to go auto a EAOD or C6 would work well, I prefer the C6.
Had a C6 and a 351W to swap into my 65 Coupe but had to sell her to buy baby items.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just remember that the original 6 Pony was not built to handle the weight and power of a V8. Numerous articles in mags, books and on-line have been written about the switch which entails a lot more than a engine upgrade. You will need to upgrade the brakes (disc is best up front and larger rear drum or disc), suspension, driveline, etc. If you can find a donor pony that had a V8, it will save a lot of money. 302 V8 is the easiest and least costly mod, 351 requires cutting and welding and more suspension work.

Have fun and good luck.:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts