Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just purchased a mint '99 LX 5.0.

has the 225/55/16 Pony wheel/tire combo.

can I go wider (thread width) but stay near the same diameter of the stock?

also, is it illegal to run with the smoked 6 pc headlight combo?

does this set up still light the road?

thanks, Rob

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
99... 5.0? you must be wrong on the year ... lol either way if its a fox body you can run up to a 9 inch wide rim front and back with 275s all around, you will have some issues with the front and turning and the main issues is with a 17 by 9 and a 275 tire the rim will sit right under the fender so i fyou go over a bump and the tire goes up high enough it will hit the fender... this is bad lol but... if you run a stiff spring like H&R's you wont have a problem.

my friends 90lx with 17 by 9 03 cobra rims has no problem he has H&Rs and it all works great.

on the stock rim which is 7.5 inches you can run wider but i wouldnt go any wider than a 235mm.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
also, is it illegal to run with the smoked 6 pc headlight combo?

does this set up still light the road?
My turn.

Most of the kits are DOT approved. If you are not sure, ask the retailer.

Yes it will light up the road. You may notice a bit of difference in using the stock bulbs with the new kit. But using the new headlight kit and the stock bulbs is like eating a $30 steak with ketchup packets. It doesn't make any sense, so go ahead and invest in the new style bulbs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry, I meant a '91 Fox Body............I sold my '99 Ranger.

anyway thanks for the replys..............

in regards to the tire size: I'd like to stay with the stock Pony wheels and go to a wider tire. when I looked at the rear of the car it looked as though if I put a wider tire on it would not clear the exhaust pipes. would this be correct?

and in regards to the replacement headlight assemblies: which bulbs should I purchase?

I am so glad to finally get the car I've wanted.

again thanks for all your help!

Rob

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
Also, alot of those headlight covers make it hard to actually see at night...you won't have as much light coming through

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
robher27 said:
sorry, I meant a '91 Fox Body............I sold my '99 Ranger.

anyway thanks for the replys..............

in regards to the tire size: I'd like to stay with the stock Pony wheels and go to a wider tire. when I looked at the rear of the car it looked as though if I put a wider tire on it would not clear the exhaust pipes. would this be correct?

and in regards to the replacement headlight assemblies: which bulbs should I purchase?

I am so glad to finally get the car I've wanted.

again thanks for all your help!

Rob
Im not exactly sure, but i do think you can get away witha 245/50/16 on there. but the exhaust clearance may be an issue.

·
Registered
541 Posts
WELCOME,

I wouldn't recommend the headlight covers especially if you live in California other states might be okay. And yes you can run a bigger tire on your stang but they probably won't fit the stock rims. What size are your factory rims. My 2001 stang has 17x9's and I love them.

Matt 2001 moded V6.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts