70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 65 mustang and i am wanting to know where I post to get a little advice

Sent from my SM-N920V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Car was a 289 they put a 302 , everyone is saying change it back to the 289 . What do you all think

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Is there a problem with the 302? Are you wanting to restore back to original? Why is everyone saying change it back?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They should a car like this should be original, the 302 is healthy starts right up and will roast the tires bald if I wanted to .

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Well that's totally up to you if you have the time and money and plan on showing the car and want to win trophies and stuff. Otherwise, my philosophy is if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some car shows yes but at the same time I understand what your saying . The goal in the beginning was to build up the 302, roll cage track bars and so on but that adds up real quick

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Really comes down to what your goals are and how much you care about what other people think about your car. Some purists out there will obviously scoff at the idea of a 302 in an original 289 car. But that goes for just about anything. Post some pics. Would love to see it.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Unless you have the original 289, and can restore the car back to a numbers matching vehicle..........for heaven's sake leave the 302 in there. As you say that it is running just fine, it would be kind of silly to go the expense of changing everything and still have a non numbers matching car.....

·
Premium Member
6,834 Posts
Unless you have the original 289, keep the 302 in it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
J Keaton it's a work in progress the paint is stripped off on the roof this is just 2 days ago

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Recon I'm keeping the 302, just going to build the car up a little bit

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
679 Posts
Works in progress are the best! I agree, if you've already got a great running engine, I would leave it. Are you planning on racing it? Using it as a daily driver? Entering shows? Is it auto/manual?

·
Super Moderator
5,240 Posts
we told you this is where to get advice.

Welcome to Mevo and I'd work with what you have

Mud

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Street car , but have the power when wanted . It's a auto I prefer manual

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
First I'll say :welcome:
Having had a number of 65/66 Mustangs and restoring one making Resto-Mods of the rest the others have given you great advice. Unless the Mustang was a convertible/heavily optioned C code car or GT or K code car trying to put it back to stock even with a period correct motor is non-productive...you'll spend a lot of money and never get it back out.
One thing you mentioned was putting a roll cage in it...the Mustang is already a small car and with a "real cage" the rear seat becomes non-usable and will actually make the car worth less if you ever decide to sell it. A good pair of frame connectors will tie the front and rear together just find 65-66 Mustang CNC Cut Floor Contoured Frame Connectors and traction bars although somewhat effective are no match for CalTracs CalTracs 6401 Low Profile 1 Hole [6401 Low Profile 1 Hole] - $339.00 : The Leader In Leaf Spring Innovation, - Calvert Racing
I'm not sure what year 302 it is although if it is an late 60's or early 70's 302 it can be made to look exactly like a stock 289 and very hard to tell the difference even to a trained eye.
Changing from an auto to manual is a lot of work although putting a 5 or 6 speed manual box in it would be fun....also costly. With the automatics on the market today and a good stall converter you could really surprise a lot people and still be a lot of fun.
Probably the one thing on the early Mustang that can stand a lot of improvement is the suspension and there are a ton of companies out there making suspension parts.
Since it is a work in progress there are so many ways to go...it just depends on what your goal for the car is and what you do or don't want to spend...they are a fun little car in any event...IMHO

1 - 20 of 84 Posts