Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I was planning on recently purchasing a newer Mustang GT (2010-2011), but came across a number of red flags- poor ratings on reliability- specifically transmission issues with the manual.

I understand that both yrs have different motors- was the 4.6L a good engine?

We have a resource in Canada, called Lemon-Aid by Phil Edmonston. It rips the Mustang GT and reports numerous flaws, specifically around the powertrain. It's a well respected resource that appears not to be biased like Consumer Reports, etc...

Anyways, I would appreciate hearing from anyone about their experiences or facts to help dispute this-

Thanks!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Hey, I was planning on recently purchasing a newer Mustang GT (2010-2011), but came across a number of red flags- poor ratings on reliability- specifically transmission issues with the manual.

We have a resource in Canada, called Lemon-Aid by Phil Edmonston. It rips the Mustang GT and reports numerous flaws, specifically around the powertrain. It's a well respected resource that appears not to be biased like Consumer Reports, etc...

Anyways, I would appreciate hearing from anyone about their experiences or facts to help dispute this-

Thanks!
You'll enjoy the 5.0 a lot more. Most of the stuff you read about transmission problems happened to a small percentage of owners, many who probably abused it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Get the 5.0 you won't regret it!

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have the 2012GT 5.0. I have 19000 miles on it with the 93 race tune, flow master cat backs and I've had no problems at all!! It's a my daily driver and had no issues at all's. I don't baby it! But I don't run the hell out of it everyday! I couldn't as for a better car!! I've ram it at the track couple of times just to see how it would do and it was up there with most other mustangs!! You can't go wrong with the 5.0 GT!! You'll love the power and the performance!! Don't go by what others write about the great Mustang!!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I have the 2012GT 5.0. I have 19000 miles on it with the 93 race tune, flow master cat backs and I've had no problems at all!! It's a my daily driver and had no issues at all's. I don't baby it! But I don't run the hell out of it everyday! I couldn't as for a better car!! I've ram it at the track couple of times just to see how it would do and it was up there with most other mustangs!! You can't go wrong with the 5.0 GT!! You'll love the power and the performance!! Don't go by what others write about the great Mustang!!
2011 gt for 2 years... 18k. City only driving. Like I stole it (11 mpg to prove it). 93 r bama tune, CAI, axelbacks. No problems at all... Auto, not the manual though.

You would regret not buying the 5.0 if you got a 4.6. This engine stock is impressive... And the potential to get crazy power is amazing with mods.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Totally agree with you!!! 5.0 .. You can do so much with it! It's a excellent motor and just bolt ons will improve performance !!!you can't go wrong with it!! For 3 years it has proved to be a terrific engine!!!

·
The Blue Dragon
5,661 Posts
The 10's actually had more quality issues than the 11's. the main thing with these cars is that these transmissions are inconsistent. Some have no issue while other are plagued with them. 42k on mine (miles not kms) and I have no trans issues. I've had at least a dozen track passes, and I drive like a jackass about half the time. Generally if there are any problems with the car they will pop up in the first 10k miles.

It's not to say the issues do not exist but the are not as prevalent as these forums would make them out to be. People have an issue with their car. Search the Internet and find a forum. They create an account and post about their issue. The ones that do not have these issues obviously do not report anything at all

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
stangless74 said:

Thanks!
Sounds to me like lemon aid is biased too. I had the 4.6 and traded it for the 5.0 . When driven normal like a car should be, I haven't had complaint #1. However, I drive mine like an idiot when traffic and road conditions allow. That said, my only complaint is with the shifter not going into gear. You have to remember, probably 90% of us on these fourms abuse our cars. I've owned Ford trucks for 33yrs now with no complaints, the mustang is built by the same company. There's not a car out there in the same price range that even comes close to the mustang. Get the 5.0 and you'll never look back.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
14000 miles on my 2011 5.0 and I drive her rough everyday and she hasn't had one problem but a minor leak where the taillights are back when I got her. Was sealed in an hour by a ford tech.

I feel like certain groups like motor trend and such have a hatred for Ford because Ford is bringing the company back on their own and not using bail out money to still fail.

·
Registered
150 Posts
35,000 miles on my 2012 5.0 drives just fine. I am considering the MGW shifter though. Just heard too many great things about how much better it feels while shifting through the gears.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thak you to all for your informative responses- I really appreciate the information and has cleared up a lot- thanks!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Only mrchanical issue ive had on my 2012 5.0 is the stupid upper strut mounts popping at low speeds, but that was replaced under warranty. O and for some reason my gas seems to drain pretty quick ;-)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Don't have a 5.0, but most of stuff like this, is luck. You either luck up and get one with no/few issues, or you get stuck with a bad one. From what I've heard of people that do have them, most have no massive issues. So good luck to you!

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Mine's been fine, except Ford had to rebuild the MT-82 when it just imploded, no provocation, at about 2000 miles. 3.73 rear end is a tetch whiney at certain speeds but not enough to make a fuss about.

Stuff happens, it's a mass-produced object. Overall, despite the aggravation I've experienced, I love the car. It's great to drive, fast, gets great mileage for it's power level and is comfy.

Don't saddle yourself with the gas-sucking, boat-anchor 4.6 because of concerns about the trans. Get an auto if you're really worried but, once you set up the MT-82 with a simple shifter bracket and a good knob, it's amazing how good it can be.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Mine's been fine, except Ford had to rebuild the MT-82 when it just imploded, no provocation, at about 2000 miles. 3.73 rear end is a tetch whiney at certain speeds but not enough to make a fuss about.

Stuff happens, it's a mass-produced object. Overall, despite the aggravation I've experienced, I love the car. It's great to drive, fast, gets great mileage for it's power level and is comfy.

Don't saddle yourself with the gas-sucking, boat-anchor 4.6 because of concerns about the trans. Get an auto if you're really worried but, once you set up the MT-82 with a simple shifter bracket and a good knob, it's amazing how good it can be.
Well the shifter honestly isn't that much worse if not about the same as the camero, challenger, 370Z, etc.

I test drove all those when I bought my 5.0 and really couldn't say the mustang was as bad as people make it out to be. Not that I haven't missed shifts, but I would imagine you'll miss them just as much on the other cars in its class.

Also as stated, easily remedied. Getting a good after market shifter will do far better than anything you can get OEM in any other comparable car.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts