Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2017 Mustang and love it! It's a V6 non-ecoboost. (First time Mustang owner). It has great git' up and go but I know it has potential to give me than it does.

I see lots of aftermarket products to tune for better mileage and more HP...but could the dealership just be able to program and tune it or are they not allowed to do that? Also would tuning void the warranty?

·
Banned
2,140 Posts
Welcome. No, the dealer won't tune your car. There are several tuners available though. American muscle has some for one. I'm sure there are others. If something were to happen to the vehicle as a result of the tune I'm pretty sure the warranty would be voided.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
A tune will usually void your engine/ transmission warranty because it affects how it works. But if a knob breaks or radio stops working that part of the warranty would still cover parts of the car that the modification (tune) did not affect.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
Just bought a 2017 Mustang and love it! It's a V6 non-ecoboost. (First time Mustang owner). It has great git' up and go but I know it has potential to give me than it does.

I see lots of aftermarket products to tune for better mileage and more HP...but could the dealership just be able to program and tune it or are they not allowed to do that? Also would tuning void the warranty?
The dealership will not tune your mustang. You will have too look at aftermarket tuning options and several out there. A performance tune MAY void the factory warranty. Key word is MAY. Not will but may/could/can.

I was so concerned about my factory warranty I waited till 5k miles for my performance tune. A properly tuned automatic is amazing and far better than the factory tune. It's a different pony when tuned

Look to go with Steeda, Bama or MPT. I have all three tunes and certainly have my favorite of the three

Sent from a non car enthusiast V6 mustang owner's cell phone.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Everything sounds great... but what would be the downside for it?...why is Ford not using the same tuning?
Several, several reasons, the least of which is probably the performance figures.

They use these engines across several brands, and several cars, so they write more or less a general calibration for all the vehicles. They arent going to spend the time (or money) stress testing, driveability testing, performance testing... every single vehicle with a different calibration.

All 3.7 equipped cars are more or less passenger vehicles, with small tires, designed for mpg. No sense in writing a blistering calibration for a car that's going to get a set of 215 50 17s lol...

There are also several legal and regulatory parameters regarding a vehicles displacement, horsepower, torque, etc... so peak numbers may not always be in the company's best interest (like when companies under rate a car).

Could be any number of things, but those are what just come to mind for me.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a Steeda CAI and Bama 93 street tune on my 13' Performance Pack Manual and it definitely wakes up the motor! Free flowing X Member back exhaust helps too. Bama sends new tunes by email attachment for each upgrade at no additional charge!

·
Banned
145 Posts

If you are interested in tuning, and I see that you live in Texas, I would give Brenspeed a call. I am a BIG proponent of local install/tune with someone reputable. I cast shade at email tunes.

When it comes to voiding your warranty, the answer is yes and no. If something were to go wrong with your engine and the dealer is able to provide evidence that the tune is the root cause, they will void your warranty for the work in question.
More than likely they will simply state upfront that you tuned the car and the engine is no longer under warranty.

Many people quote the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. What it does it help protect consumers in regards to written warranties from sellers. It prevents a manufacture from forcing you to use a service or maintenance. In other words, you are under no obligation to use genuine Ford Motorcraft parts when something needs to be replaced. Nor are you obligated to go back to a Ford dealership for service. This inevitably covers aftermarket performance parts as well, but it should be stated that the amount of pushback you will get from the dealer depends on what you are taking your vehicle in for and what was modified.

If I swapped out the stereo head unit in my car, and then sometime later my transmission needs repair the dealership will have a hell of a time trying to deny warranty work on my transmission because I "modified my stereo head unit." Now, if I blew my engine and I have a tune? Well...that would be harder for ME to argue that wasn't the case.

For a more realistic, and painful, example you can look up SRTMUSH on YouTube, and he has a Hellcat with failing supercharger bearings. He had an aftermarket CIA, and the dealer immediately flagged his VIN and told him that the CIA mod is the root cause of the failing supercharger bearings. The problem for Dodge is that this is a known issue with the stock Hellcat supercharger. The Hellcat community helped him push back and it looks like things are going to be set right.

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
If you are interested in tuning, and I see that you live in Texas, I would give Brenspeed a call. I am a BIG proponent of local install/tune with someone reputable. I cast shade at email tunes.

When it comes to voiding your warranty, the answer is yes and no. If something were to go wrong with your engine and the dealer is able to provide evidence that the tune is the root cause, they will void your warranty for the work in question.
More than likely they will simply state upfront that you tuned the car and the engine is no longer under warranty.

Many people quote the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. What it does it help protect consumers in regards to written warranties from sellers. It prevents a manufacture from forcing you to use a service or maintenance. In other words, you are under no obligation to use genuine Ford Motorcraft parts when something needs to be replaced. Nor are you obligated to go back to a Ford dealership for service. This inevitably covers aftermarket performance parts as well, but it should be stated that the amount of pushback you will get from the dealer depends on what you are taking your vehicle in for and what was modified.

If I swapped out the stereo head unit in my car, and then sometime later my transmission needs repair the dealership will have a hell of a time trying to deny warranty work on my transmission because I "modified my stereo head unit." Now, if I blew my engine and I have a tune? Well...that would be harder for ME to argue that wasn't the case.

For a more realistic, and painful, example you can look up SRTMUSH on YouTube, and he has a Hellcat with failing supercharger bearings. He had an aftermarket CIA, and the dealer immediately flagged his VIN and told him that the CIA mod is the root cause of the failing supercharger bearings. The problem for Dodge is that this is a known issue with the stock Hellcat supercharger. The Hellcat community helped him push back and it looks like things are going to be set right.
Breenspeed for 3.7? No way. Never heard of any 3.7 owner having them tune for it. Not sure Breenspeed even tunes for the 3.7 but don't know or ever heard any 3.7 owner getting tuned by Breenspeed

·
Banned
145 Posts
Breenspeed for 3.7? No way. Never heard of any 3.7 owner having them tune for it. Not sure Breenspeed even tunes for the 3.7 but don't know or ever heard any 3.7 owner getting tuned by Breenspeed

If Brenspeed doesn't tune for a V6, there should be someone else in the DFW area. It's a hotbed for performance tuning.

With no bolt ons, an email tune may be an option. I am simply dead set against them.

Never again.

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
If Brenspeed doesn't tune for a V6, there should be someone else in the DFW area. It's a hotbed for performance tuning.

With no bolt ons, an email tune may be an option. I am simply dead set against them.

Never again.
Absolutely love my email tune. It's a beast of a tune. It's the way to go for those who have bolt on mods.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
I've said it 100 times and i'll say it again. Having personally written both Email tunes, and done dyno tunes, they are 100% the exact same process. A pull is done, the tuner looks at the data, and changes are made. You can have the absolute best tuner writing you an email tune, or you can have Joe blow sending you emails from his mom's basement. Same can be said about a dyno tune though, just because they have a dyno doesnt mean they know S about tuning, or your platform.

I promise, they are the same quality, and Email tunes are often 1/3 to 1/2 the price.

---------- Post added at 07:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 PM ----------

I've said it 100 times and i'll say it again. Having personally written both Email tunes, and done dyno tunes, they are 100% the exact same process. A pull is done, the tuner looks at the data, and changes are made. You can have the absolute best tuner writing you an email tune, or you can have Joe blow sending you emails from his mom's basement. Same can be said about a dyno tune though, just because they have a dyno doesnt mean they know S about tuning, or your platform.

I promise, they are the same quality, and Email tunes are often 1/3 to 1/2 the price.

·
Registered
7,653 Posts

---------- Post added at 07:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 PM ----------

You have said it tons of times and I completely agree with you sir. A good tuner is a good tuner. You can very easily dial in a tune by data logging it. Nothing wrong with an email tune.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I don't know if Brenspeed tunes the V6 but I have only heard good things about them. They have a shop here in Indiana where I'm from also. If I plan on getting some real work done I will go to them.

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
I don't know if Brenspeed tunes the V6 but I have only heard good things about them. They have a shop here in Indiana where I'm from also. If I plan on getting some real work done I will go to them.

Breenspeed is not that amazing. They are almost never talked about here or other mustang sites. The vast majority of 5.0 guys don't use Breenspeed. The 3.7 guys don't use them because they don't tune our engine.

If you have a 5.0 you are rolling Lund, AED, VMP, Custom Dyno or Bama.

·
Registered
12 Posts
if you have the 3.7 and really want the top of the line tune along with customer service...google MPT performance.read their site and give them a call.Im sure many others on this forum would agree they are top of the line in both product and customer service,Trust me i live in alaska and have spent thousands in mods on my 2013 3.7 and MPT called me twice after my tun e and revised tunes to check on my satisfaction.they were the only ones to do that

·
Banned
145 Posts

The process of how the tune is written or the "quality" of the tune is not my point of contention. Email tunes are not, in my opinion, optimal when problems arise.

I'll tell you why. I had problems with my VMP kit. I took data, sent it to Justin and the answer I received was "that's not enough data for me to understand what the issue is." When talking to him over email or phone I got one word answers.

Nevermind I am trying to data log on the road which is illegal given what I am attempting to do. I opted to go to a local dyno just for datalogging purposes and sent it to Justin. Still no luck of determining root cause.

So I gave up, and found a guy locally that has specific knowledge of the 5.0. Someone I can talk to in real time, someone who asks me for details of what is happening. I rather pay more money for a 4 hour block of time which is how my tuner does it.

No one will convince me that an email tune is optimal. Ever. Find a good local shop is and will forever be, my advice.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts