Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yeah, i know it's not horribly important but i wanted to see what the more experienced guys here had to say about this... i will probably keep it like this but wanted imput. you all know how normal CAI goes, but here is my humungo-filter and ghetto home depot setup + mac cai...

·
Banned
11,872 Posts
I dont see it helping out alot. I mean it might be a few degrees cooler but it has more bends.

Not experience tho so thats just a guess :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
That's how the older mac cold airs were. They ended up interfering with smog
pumps (99-00), cost more (more material and bends), harder to install and yes
they have more bends so that's more of a restriction. These are all the logical
(not necessarily why mac did it) reasons I can think of for them going to what
they have now.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
wow, we have an artist on our hands. way to use MS Paint Michalangelo. :D

anyway, that is exactly what my mac looks like. except the MAF to TB tube is a little more round, but thats cause my TB is at a 90* angle where 99+s are at like a 50*

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i believe it to be a restriction because mine turns down 90 deg to point straight down, after the piping clears the fenderwell, that is. the filter is huge and is getting hit by air a lot from the fog light hole but it probably doesn't make a difference.

any suggestions? i can't do much cause the filter is huge and it won't fit any way else, period, i tried.

any possible (1rwhp+) benefits to making a little funnel out of the fog light hole and hitting it harder with more air? i'm anal, that's just how i am. i feel like a guy asking about an air silencer and the gains from removing it. :rolleyes: :D

and brandon... it DOES look decent for a 5 min job, so i'll just assume you were being sincere with your compliment. :)

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
hey v6power, can you keep me up to date on your progress on this? me and RGR are makin our own Ram-air/CAI for my car, so far I have the "ram-air" part in the fender, and useing the stock air box and the hose from the TB and the fender. we are lookin at adding a 45* and the CAI but cant find the best way with mine being a 98 and a flanged MAF. thanks man, hope yours works well. BTW snow/rain has not gottin into my pipes YET.. i am going to take it off and mod somethings soon. just need time. :|

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok.

maybe poke holes in the back side of the piping to let water escape. i think the only way mine will work well in rain is to add a piece of plastic or something that angles the air down and then the water will stay down while the air circles back up and around the other side. it doesn't rain a ton here but the more i think of it the more i realize how my current setup is probably not very solid. thanks for pointing out the obvious. :headbang:

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mikael said:
They ended up interfering with smog
pumps (99-00)
when i got my headers i cut off the smog pump hole because it isn't needed. just the 02 sensors. are you saying mine has it? it's a '00.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
hey man, I was also thinkin about puttin a screen on it, (i cant spell ither) but i got the idea when my dog jumped into my window that was open, we got soem new stuff to replace the old and now i am lookin at this thinkin that air goes in, but the holes are not to big for snow/water, and yes i found a leaf on my filter.. :oops: here is whats i got

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that is wise to put on the front of your ram air part but it won't do a thing for snow or water. if anything snow would build up on it and freeze. maybe a more porous screen would still keep most debris out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
V6PowerStang said:
mikael said:
They ended up interfering with smog
pumps (99-00)
when i got my headers i cut off the smog pump hole because it isn't needed. just the 02 sensors. are you saying mine has it? it's a '00.
I should have said green state 99-00s.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
when the filter is that far down it sucks up water.... i would move it up so that its right insdie the fender hole. that is another reason why mac makes them shorter now.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
go figure guys, it rained this morning. the filter didn't get wet but it wasn't raining hard. i figure if it did, it would get wet. i think a small little panel to avert the rain towards the center of the car would keep it from hitting the filter but still let air in.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Monkey said:
wow, we have an artist on our hands. way to use MS Paint Michalangelo. :D
:D :D :D LOL!!! I love it! :idea: :!: :!: :idea:

Actually, I like it a bit better than the tube being shorter
and getting the filter up there where there is less of a
straight shot. WIth that exactly as it is, I would construct
some baffles that sealed off the bottom of the space where
your filter is, to try and trap some extra air and get more
into the filter. It could also have a small area exposed under
the foglight opening to grab more air than the foglight hole alone.

I'd try and draw a pic but Monkey would slay me :yes: :yes: :yes:

I feel like Corey with all these faces :p :wave: Hi DD!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Fishers Stang said:
hey man, I was also thinkin about puttin a screen on it, (i cant spell ither) but i got the idea when my dog jumped into my window that was open, we got soem new stuff to replace the old and now i am lookin at this thinkin that air goes in, but the holes are not to big for snow/water, and yes i found a leaf on my filter.. :oops: here is whats i got

Yes, Mr. Anderson...[/matrix]

Or I could call you charley-charley-chuck-chuck! :D

That looks like a decent idea, if
we get that 45* piece in there
then it wil line up better with the foglite...
I would look at the screen mounted to the
foglite hole maybe.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts