Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of installing Magnaflow or Flowmaster 40's on my stock exhaust. Most people I talked to or read are using a dual exhaust. Will I change the overall sound and performance using ths stock exhaust with a performance muffler?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Performance will be the same if not worse from a 40 series, Ive heard over and over the only things 40's do is give you a loud exhaust... I do have to say I haven't heard a performance single exhaust on a v6 stang yet though. Im sure it would sound good, minimal power gains in my opinion but you never know!
Dan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figure the power gain will be minimal. Looking for a cheap way out for the time being. I guess I should just give up the cash and go for the duals and a CAI and wait on other things. I have heard more bad things about the flowmaster than good on this board.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have a x-pipe with flow 40s. They sound loud and mean. My girlfriend gets ##### every time i rev the engine. The set up also freed up alot of high end hp. The car REALLY opens up at like 4 grand.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this exhaust decision is killing me. Now i read a MAC cat-back attatched at the Y or "fake dual" will just give a somewhat true dual sound but NO! power gain. Is this true? This seems to be something that is in my coast range.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
THe fact is you can go to a shop and have 2 turbo mufflers installed on a custom Y pipe off the stock exhaust and pay less then half for the set up over buying a overpriced kit. Or buy to MAc flowpath mufflers andtake them to a muffler shop and let them install them

·
Registered
3 Posts
Like the others stated, im a little slower off the line, but in the higher gears it made a world of difference and sounds WAY more respectable. Skip the Y pipe. Any good muffler shop will cut the Y after the cats and install the mufflers right up. With the V6 you wont have to worry about compression.
Here is an MP3 of my 2000 v6 w/ dual flowmasters 40's and 2.25 straight pipes going to the back. (Cats, and mufflers with no x or Y pipe.)
http://65.41.31.230/dualies.mp3
I'm very pleased with it.

·
Banned
11,872 Posts
MrED said:
Like the others stated, im a little slower off the line, but in the higher gears it made a world of difference and sounds WAY more respectable. Skip the Y pipe. Any good muffler shop will cut the Y after the cats and install the mufflers right up. With the V6 you wont have to worry about compression.
Here is an MP3 of my 2000 v6 w/ dual flowmasters 40's and 2.25 straight pipes going to the back. (Cats, and mufflers with no x or Y pipe.)
http://65.41.31.230/dualies.mp3
I'm very pleased with it.
Do you mind if we put it in the Multimedia section?

http://www.232stangs.com/multimedia/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sure go ahead and put it in the multimedia section. Thanks for asking.
As for other mods as far as under the hood goes, I installed a cold air intake which made a world of difference and also showed me that I really needed the dualies before anything else. It felt like it was being held back. I also installed MSD superconductor wires and NGK Irridium plugs. They made quite an impact as well, but Im pretty sure the car was way out of tune when I got it. Next im thinking either a throttle body spacer or gears.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts