Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Was it a good idea to get rid of the v6 (if its true)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure how many of you have seen this but...
We Hear: 2018 Ford Mustang Axes V-6 Engine Option - Motor Trend
Let me know what yall think. I know its a rumor but it would suck if there is no more 3.7, especially considering the little development that is being done to get parts for our 3.7 cars. Other than that tho it seems like there will be lots of new options that will make the mustang even better. On the other hand tho it will also probably make mustangs more expensive considering an ecoboost costs slightly more than a v6. Maybe not the best move for Ford considering a lot of people go for the v6 due to the cost which last time I checked was lower than a v6 Camaro or challenger not sure anymore but pretty sure it was.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
The 5.0 will be next. I'm sure we'll see the EcoBoost 2.7 v6 offered for the Mustang in a few years. :)

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
Let me know what yall think. I know its a rumor but it would suck if there is no more 3.7, especially considering the little development that is being done to get parts for our 3.7 cars. Other than that tho it seems like there will be lots of new options that will make the mustang even better. On the other hand tho it will also probably make mustangs more expensive considering an ecoboost costs slightly more than a v6. Maybe not the best move for Ford considering a lot of people go for the v6 due to the cost which last time I checked was lower than a v6 Camaro or challenger not sure anymore but pretty sure it was.
Very rare do I see the V6 model in the S550 model. It's either the 4 banger or the 5.0 model. For every one 5.0 I see on the road, I see five 4 bangers to one 5.0. Really no need for both models the V6 and 4 banger.

Sent from a non car enthusiast V6 mustang owner's cell phone.

·
Registered
192 Posts
They are also looking to delete the 5.0 and replace it with a 4.8 liter V/8

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
Ford is a "Global Company", and they are looking toward a global platform to build on...the 3.7l V6 is not in the Global Plan...IMHO

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
What's the benefit of going to a 4.8 liter?

Sent from a non car enthusiast V6 mustang owner's cell phone.

They want to reduce the number of different engine sizes they make.
& with turbo 4cyl., & v6s, they can replace v8 & older v6 engines worldwide
& 'cause of emissions & that BS

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
All engines SHOULD be 1-cylinder turbo diesels!!
You will save a fortune!!
Who's with me??

·
Registered
75 Posts
I noticed the mods you have listed for your stang - specifically the BBK long tube headers and catted mid x pipe. I am thinking of doing the same to my 2013 V6 but am concerned of passing Colorado emission. Do you have to get emission tests based on where you live? If so, I assumed you passed with no issues?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I noticed the mods you have listed for your stang - specifically the BBK long tube headers and catted mid x pipe. I am thinking of doing the same to my 2013 V6 but am concerned of passing Colorado emission. Do you have to get emission tests based on where you live? If so, I assumed you passed with no issues?
You will not Pass Visual with the Long Tubes and removing a Cat and replacing it with anything other than an OEM replacement in the OEM location is illegal.
Do Short tubes, BBK I do believe are 50 state legal now.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
You can do cylinder shut off at any displacement and shedding .2 L won't necessarily make it lightweight.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Tell that to the bureaucrats...

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Everything has a beginning and an end. I personally am going to miss the 3.7
Not a four banger fan, So the next will have to have 8.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
I haven't heard anything about a 4.8L V8

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
There are quite a few rumors about this so called 4.8l V8.
The one I like is that Ford is talking to the UAW in Canada about contracts for 2 new engine plants to be up and running by 2020.
My guess would be that one of these plants could be making the 4.8l V8 and that could mean the 5.0l as we know it will vanish in 2020 and be replaced.
I also believe that the development of the is 4.8l motor is being aimed at the F150 and would replace the 5.0l...I would assume this would replace the Mustang GT motor...or maybe not.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
We don't have emissions test where I live. I got the catted x pipe to help cut down on 'rasp' of the exhaust. I didn't like the thought of putting resonators in the exhaust pipes :).

1 - 20 of 36 Posts