Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yay!

Ever since I bought the Stang the rear has been wiggly. First time I drove it on the highway I thought a tire was low on air, it wasn't.

Compared to my bud's 2001 GT that rear of the car moved a lot more when you shoved on it.

So Last week I started replacing bushings in the rear. When I loosened up the pass side LCA's rear pivot bolt the axle moved about an eigth of an inch.

Well, no more. Now the rear is nice and tight, tighter than the front, which means it is next. Bought new tires too, I only got about 40K miles out of this last set. Since I am saving up for a nice set of 17" rims I didn't want to spend a lot on new 15" tires, so I bought cheap ones, but I did upsize the width. We'll see how they work.

With these new bushing, polygraphite, the road noise and feel is a bit more that it was with those OEM rubber bushings.

Steve

·
Registered
521 Posts
yeah, I need to get that panhard bar to get rid of some of the lateral movement of the rear end.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd suggest going with the Steeda panhard bar. It's a street piece. Unlike any panhard that uses rod ends and not bushings which are race pieces, unless you regularly inspect and replace the rods ends as they wear. Not real cheap in the long run.

http://www.steeda.com/store/-catalog/suspension/555-2550-450.jpg

Steve

·
Premium Member
25,803 Posts
when you go with non mm rear lcas you pay for it with more bind and a little more road noise, but regardless road noise is just part of it :(

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SpectorV said:
when you go with non mm rear lcas you pay for it with more bind and a little more road noise, but regardless road noise is just part of it :(
We were talking about panhard bars, not LCA's. But any part with rod ends is essentially a race only part, unless you are willing to regularly inspect the rod ends for looseness and replace them. In a street car that's not a good option, imo.

The reason rod ends are not street friendly is that they aren't sealed from any environmental contamination. Grit gets into the bearing surfaces and starts them wearing. I see all these suspension parts for the Stang that use rod end and shake my head because I have yet to see anyone say anything about the suitability of rod ends on a street car.

Steve

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SpectorV said:
at first i thought you ment the wiggles from nick jr were gone.....

You know, I didn;t know who the wiggles were till recently, got a coworker with a kid who mentioned it. However, now that I got another on the way I am sure I'll be knowing all about them.

Steve

·
Premium Member
19,784 Posts
Hahaha...uh....a picture of Nick with no hair, how strange

·
Premium Member
19,784 Posts
You changed your name for the show? I don't blame ya

·
Premium Member
25,803 Posts
hum i think I remember reading up on the panhard, dont they come with a warranty... but you make a great point about the rod down here in the south its not a big deal for under the car contaiminants but it will eventually still mess em up unless they can be protected some how, the function is really not a bearing for the most part its made to stay ridgid by design.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts