Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my county you don't have to have any sort of emissions test done once the car it 25 years or older, so I could in theory just take of my mufflers with no problems legally. I was looking and I would leave the one set of cats, but everything else would be gone, just straight pipes. Now, what would that do to it mechanically? Would it cause any damage to the motor or anything else?

·
Registered
338 Posts
DerekJohnScott said:
In my county you don't have to have any sort of emissions test done once the car it 25 years or older, so I could in theory just take of my mufflers with no problems legally. I was looking and I would leave the one set of cats, but everything else would be gone, just straight pipes. Now, what would that do to it mechanically? Would it cause any damage to the motor or anything else?
Man I have my car the same cats but no mufflers an you will lose a little HP but get a little low end torque so you don't but in my country I have to e test it but I still past last year with no mufflers an it was alot cheaper 100 bucks is all it cost me haha

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just took off my dyno Max mufflers and omfg!!! It sounder sooooo good! I've got a heads cam intake motor so it sounds like a damn race car but stock I hears sounds stupid. Although if you take off your mufflers your cats and pipe will aag to the ground cause the only thing holding them up is the muffler hangers and the headers. At least that's how mine is. But if you can deffinatley do it neighbors gonna hate you though :)

·
Registered
338 Posts
87 Notchback said:
I just took off my dyno Max mufflers and omfg!!! It sounder sooooo good! I've got a heads cam intake motor so it sounds like a damn race car but stock I hears sounds stupid. Although if you take off your mufflers your cats and pipe will aag to the ground cause the only thing holding them up is the muffler hangers and the headers. At least that's how mine is. But if you can deffinatley do it neighbors gonna hate you though :)
The guy that did my just put some custom hangers lol i had a Brokein hanger on my mufflers when I first got it so I just had them take the mufflers off an man it sounded so good just gear up an drop the rpms down to like 1200 when there's a cop behind you hahaha

·
Premium Member
3,271 Posts
It'll be loud as hell and you'll get sick of it after a while but it won't cause any damage. I would save up and get an off road mid-pipe and either some bullets or flowmaster 10s.

·
Premium Member
3,271 Posts
I'm going to try it. What about just putting in glass packs? Their cheap.
I would try you tube to listen to a few setups. You may end up not liking how glass packs sound and you'll be out the cost.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If it isn't supercharged you will loose hp at high Rpms and torque at low Rpms plus you have the chance of throwing a rod. Just have a muffler shop run you some 3" pipe to some 40 series out the back. That's what I have. Sounds loud but deep and keeps just enough back pressure to make the hp and torque increase. Plus it looks so crazy with 3" straight pipes coming out the back.

·
Premium Member
3,271 Posts
If it isn't supercharged you will loose hp at high Rpms and torque at low Rpms plus you have the chance of throwing a rod. Just have a muffler shop run you some 3" pipe to some 40 series out the back. That's what I have. Sounds loud but deep and keeps just enough back pressure to make the hp and torque increase. Plus it looks so crazy with 3" straight pipes coming out the back.
Do realize that is mostly myth, if anything 3" straight pipes all the way back would do more harm than good. Throwing a rod is pure myth as well. Getting rid of back pressure while increasing velocity is what you would want to do.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts