Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I started having starter issues a few days ago and then yesterday I went to pick up my daughter from daycare and it wouldn't start. I checked all the connections and couldn't find anything and all it would do was click. So I picked up a new starter this morning and installed it and nothing happened. I proceeded to go over all the wiring and found no problems. I started checking the power with a meter and it checks out. I jumped the terminals on the CSS and the starter relay and still no crank. I'm thinking it has to do with the security system but I'm at a total loss with that since most of my cars have been close to 40 years old. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
171 Posts
May be wrong but have you looked into any passive anti theft system ( P.a.t.s) lockout links or threads on in regards to not starting it could be in security mode

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
The PATS used on Mustangs from '96 to '04 does not have a starter interrupt.

Have you checked the battery voltage while attempting the crank the engine? A weak cell can produce enough voltage that the battery will read around 12.6 V when idle, but drop too low to crank the engine under load...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've checked that and power input is good it's just not being told to crank

---------- Post added at 01:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 PM ----------

I checked the power and it all checks out its just not being told to crank and I have no idea y

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Maybe its irrelevant but i had a montero come in for replacement of its terminals a few days ago. The installer installed new ones and when it came time turn on car it would just click. Replaced the starter and still nothing. What ended up being the issue i guess was that the terminals weren't tight enough i guess cause i loosed up everything double checked it and put it back tightened everything up and boom it started however we also recommend its starter relay as well. Maybe it has to do with the terminals. Like i said may or may not relate

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I cleaned and tightened the terminals and switched out the relays and still nuthin not even any clicking from the starter

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Have u tried hecked fuses yet?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
In engine bay and inside drivee sied?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Fusible link?

---------- Post added at 05:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 PM ----------

Possibility of it are slim but can happen a fusible link wont let it start up.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Everything lights up like normal and if your referring to the one in the power wire to the starter it's getting power I checked it with a meter

·
Registered
344 Posts
So I started having starter issues a few days ago and then yesterday I went to pick up my daughter from daycare and it wouldn't start. I checked all the connections and couldn't find anything and all it would do was click. So I picked up a new starter this morning and installed it and nothing happened. I proceeded to go over all the wiring and found no problems. I started checking the power with a meter and it checks out. I jumped the terminals on the CSS and the starter relay and still no crank. I'm thinking it has to do with the security system but I'm at a total loss with that since most of my cars have been close to 40 years old. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I don't know it you have auto or stick but I have a auto and me and my buddy put in a transmission and every now and then my mustang won't crank but my radio comes on and my light on the dash just won't start found out I have a bad linkage so what I have to do is make sure I push my shifter into park and then it cranks right up maybe that it if you have an auto?

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I've checked that and power input is good it's just not being told to crank

---------- Post added at 01:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 PM ----------

I checked the power and it all checks out its just not being told to crank and I have no idea y
What is the battery voltage while you are trying to crank the engine? Does it change at all?

You can check it via the cigar lighter socket if it's more convenient...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts