Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to purchase a 97 gt convt. Question is: it's a California car with a slp cat back and bbk cold air. However it has 6 cats on it for emissions. Wondering how much that's robbing and what will be the best replacement? X or h? catted or not? Also being a convt, I'm not wanting obnoxious. Im new the mustang mod game so help is much appreciared, thanks.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I'm looking to purchase a 97 gt convt. Question is: it's a California car with a slp cat back and bbk cold air. However it has 6 cats on it for emissions. Wondering how much that's robbing and what will be the best replacement? X or h? catted or not? Also being a convt, I'm not wanting obnoxious. Im new the mustang mod game so help is much appreciared, thanks.
Off road X pipe

·
Registered
555 Posts
While offroad pipe is the best performance option for your modular powered aplication they are considerably louder than catted mid pipes. H pipes are usually more dosile than the X when it comes to sound as well depending on the H's cross over pipe size. Also X pipe do give better performance over the H on your modular powered 97 gt.

Furthermore seeing as how most convertable owners are looking to cruize overly loud exhuast drone can get annoying. While im not familiar with California emissions the extra cats are definatly reducing your performance. I highly recomend Bassani exhuast for modualr engine aplications where maximum performance is desired as thats what the pros mostly use. Its more money, however it can be worth it. Buying a Bassani catted midpipe is unique from its competitors in that you can decide to install long tube headers later without having to buy another midpipe.

If upgrading to longtube headers in future does not intrest you I would suggest a BBK mid pipe. BBK while cheaper it also is more docile in sound but I recomend BBK for its fitment. I have never had a problem installing BBK exhuast parts that fit correctly the first time without modification.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Imo if its a cali car and u are in cali stay with the cats due to that ridiculous emissions laws they have. If u live like me in florida were no emissions laws are ftw no cats o/r x pipe and w/e else u want for exhaust. Word to the wise if u dont like a drone go h pipe deepee tone less of a drone depending on the rest of exhaist setup. My example is 96 gt with o/r x and dump downs i love how it sounds i just want louder lol. However x pipe while improvement over h pipe in performance gives off a raspier sound 3k and above

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I'm in indiana, so it sounds like I want to go with an h pipe. Will o/r h pipe with the already in place slp cat back be to loud for the convt? Or should I go with the catted version?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm in indiana, so it sounds like I want to go with an h pipe. Will o/r h pipe with the already in place slp cat back be to loud for the convt? Or should I go with the catted version?
I personally would get the catted version. I have a convertible with an o/r x and flow masters and it got too loud for me so I can only imagine how loud it would be with slp.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts