Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so the other day i was driving home fron work and my gas light came on (happens to me a lot because gas gauge is broken) but when i was almost home the car died... I coasted it in nutral the rest of the way home (about a block) and put gas in the next day with gas can (8 to 10 gallons) tried starting it ran for a few seconds then died then anytime after that its like there no gas going to the engine... Let is sit overnight and it would start.. Run for a few seconds then die... Then anything after that it worn even start... Replaced fuel filter and it does the same thing still... Replaced spark plugs and still does the same thing... Any ideas??

·
Super Moderator
5,239 Posts
my 2 guesses are

#1: fuel pump lost prime from running empty.....it may end up OK after a few cycles or Google if there are priming tricks.

#2: fuel pump burned out from running empty (they don't like running empty) I would Google how to test it before I replaced it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok if i press on the gas while trying to start the car it sounds like there is a little gas getting to the engine but not enough for it to idle

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Agree with mud. Modern fuel pumps need to be submerged in gas to keep them cool. Running out of gas constantly will burn them up. I would do a pressure test before throwing any more parts at it.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
You can also turn the key to the on position and listen for the fuel pump.

However, a pressure test is needed. I believe you likely need a fuel pump.

Also check the relays and fuses.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts