Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have bought 3.73 Ford Racing gears twice now and twice I have had them break so what gears are better? I've heard that Richmond gears are fine if you just drag race but for a daily driver they have a loud whine. I have seen the usa gears and Yukon gears but I've been told the oem ford 3.73's are the best but what can I do about these Ford Racing gears that obviously don't last?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I put the first set in and they broke and messed up my differential and then I bought a eaton diff. And another set of ford racing 3.73's and 6 months later messed up in the rear again so Idk what the issue is with these gears that obviously can't handle it, and yes I paid for someone to install them both times and yes they know their stuff when it comes to racing and installing parts so I'm just at a loss for why these gears don't hold up?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I don't know what the issue is either because I trust my shop with all my car needs and I know they are installing them right its just not making sense why they are breaking Im just wondering if brenspeed can do something about this since I haven't had them in that long?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The teeth are braking on the ring gear I think? I have the car in the shop now and they are going to check it out and let me know the damage but from the massive grinding in the rear I know the gears are done, I'm just hoping my differential is ok and my axles are ok as well

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well then what could it be if its not the gears cause why would two sets break?

·
The Blue Dragon
5,661 Posts
Like I said I'm not well versed in differentials but I do know that there are many precision pieces in there that have require tight tolerances, I know you trust your shop, but maybe they aren't as good with differentials as they are with motors, gears are a different beast than motors or suspension

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nah its not the shop they build everything and the guy in charge has been a mechanic with ford for 15 years and they know their stuff about everything so I don't think its the mechanic, but all I know is these gears have failed me twice now?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I drive my car like a Mustang guy should, I have lowering springs and that's it? But either way just not happy with these gears at the moment because they started whining before they went out?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a one piece aluminum driveshaft and eaton differential and I don't think the axles broke but I won't know until tomorrow for sure but it just makes such a horrible noise in in the rear end so it just makes me wonder what's going on?

·
Registered
64 Posts
They are not installed right.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts