Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, my car is always in a heated garage, and now that its starting to get cold in the morning its great to get in a warm car! But I left my car at Ford for its first oil change and when I picked it up that night it was pretty cold out, (frost on Windows cold). Started it up and drove off, but I instantly noticed 1st to 2nd notchyness, sometimes into third also!? I got to a red light and went through the gears while I was waiting and it was fine! Started to go and it continued, 1st to 2nd. I live close to the dealer so it was only running about ten minutes. Normal?
 

·
It's not me, it's you.
Joined
·
6,752 Posts
You might need a heavier fluid. I had a problem like that a few years ago and they changed the fluid. I don't know what weight they used. You might want to contact your dealer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,623 Posts
You mean lighter fluid? Heavier fluid makes no sense, since cold makes fluid heavier and vice versa. Ford did start putting another fluid in the transmissions on cars of people who complained about that. Honestly, I'd just throw some BG Syncroshift II in there and call it a day. I'll do that eventually.

Mine is notchy sometimes and sometimes it isn't, regardless of temperature. I think my issue is all in the mount, cause shifting just pushing from opposite directions (treating it like a pistol grip shifter instead of a ball) results in noticeably smoother shifting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
My transmission is always notchy, especially when cold and seeing how I live in alaska and its currently 5 degrees just getting into gear is almost impossible for a good 10-20 miles, but according to ford that is normal and won't fix it, I have bgsyncroshift 2 in the car now and it actually feels alot notchier than the dual clutch fluid from the ford tsb I believe it is slightly thicker than the dct fluid
 

·
It's not me, it's you.
Joined
·
6,752 Posts
Sanguin said:
You mean lighter fluid? Heavier fluid makes no sense, since cold makes fluid heavier and vice versa.
That's what I had thought. When I had taken it in, 2 years ago. They told me what I had and what they were putting in. It was a heavier weight then what I had. Well, the number was higher. All that matters is that my shifting has been smoother ever since.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
Everything I've ever read said that lighter fluid is better for cold. But it seems like the fluid being thicker would help slow down the input shaft and sync the gears better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ak_stang said:
My transmission is always notchy, especially when cold and seeing how I live in alaska and its currently 5 degrees just getting into gear is almost impossible for a good 10-20 miles, but according to ford that is normal and won't fix it, I have bgsyncroshift 2 in the car now and it actually feels alot notchier than the dual clutch fluid from the ford tsb I believe it is slightly thicker than the dct fluid
Mines not always notchy, sometimes it just happens randomly, but I noticed it happening quite a bit more when I picked it up a couple nights ago. Gonna take it out tonite ill see if it happens again from a warm garage.Thx for the posts, ill post my findings later tonite.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,020 Posts
I changed out the bracket and that actually helped with the notchiness. I was going to change the fluid but it is very smooth now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Ford tsb on trans fluid

Living in Colorado I also had the same issue with my trans when shifting in cold weather. I did some research and found that ford issued a tsb to change out the trans fluid to a full synthetic and now my tranny shifts great no matter how cold. This was all done with no cost to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sandawilliams said:
Living in Colorado I also had the same issue with my trans when shifting in cold weather. I did some research and found that ford issued a tsb to change out the trans fluid to a full synthetic and now my tranny shifts great no matter how cold. This was all done with no cost to me.
I'll have to look into that as its still happening but not constant!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
I'm in calgary which is cold hell! Every morning my car is really cold and my first two gears are notchy. Just put pressure on the gear you want and as the gear rotates it should go into place. Don't force it just be gentle. If you've ever drove sport bikes in the fall you know what I mean.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TheStig said:
I'm in calgary which is cold hell! Every morning my car is really cold and my first two gears are notchy. Just put pressure on the gear you want and as the gear rotates it should go into place. Don't force it just be gentle. If you've ever drove sport bikes in the fall you know what I mean.
Not crazy cold here yet in montreal but around 0 to - 2. Going into first is fine but second and third sometime require a little persuasion.took it out tonite and it did it randomly. Sometimes it was fine other times not so much. Seemed to improve as the car ran Longer.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top