Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All:

You asked ... we listened!

We are now offering the Steeda S197 Mustang Clutch Spring Assist 95 lb/in (11-14 All) ... you can check it out here - Steeda S197 Mustang Clutch Spring Assist 95 lb/in (11-14 All) | 555-7023 | Free Shipping!

Product Benefits
Improve clutch pedal engagement feel
Modulate your clutch engagement with ease
Piano wire construction with high tensile strength and high elastic qualities
Consistent spring rate and minimal sag even after repeated use
More linear clutch feel
Complete replacement of factory 200 lb/in clutch assist spring
Avoid slave cylinder damage due to removal of stock clutch spring
Steeda quality, backed by a lifetime warranty

Best Regards,

TJ

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a question about this. I've read that people say the pedal is how a bit "heavier" than with the stock clutch. Isn't this spring pushing the pedal back out? If the spring were lighter, than i'd assume that the pedal feel would also be lighter? Kinda confused but interested in the spring! Thanks

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it is indeed HARDER to press the clutch down with our spring offering.

The main difference is it allows you to "feel" the engagement and disengagement better.

Best Regards,

TJ

·
Registered
727 Posts
TJ, the 3.7 spring is much ligher than the GT spring. Is the 35 lb/in 15-16 spring compatible with the 11-14? for those that want a very minimal spring (The assist spring setups look identical 10-16).

·
Registered
559 Posts
Just ordered one, thanks.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
TJ, the 3.7 spring is much ligher than the GT spring. Is the 35 lb/in 15-16 spring compatible with the 11-14? for those that want a very minimal spring (The assist spring setups look identical 10-16).
Negative - the 11-14 spring setup is completely different from the 15+. The lengths and diameters are all different.

Best Regards,

TJ

·
Registered
14 Posts
I put mine in today. Had a heck of a time until I got a helper to push in the clutch. It definately feels more linear to me. I am happy with it. Will have to drive it more though.

One thing that happened during my install is that center shaft on the top black mount broke off when the spring popped out of the top cradle. It now has nothing other than the spring to keep the top and bottom spring perches straight. Makes me wonder if the spring is going to shoot out of there one day.

·
Premium Member
4,069 Posts
Got mine today and installed it. Comes out pretty easy. Going back in was a bit of a beeyotch. Need like one more arm and need to be half my current size.

ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1462585744.963027.jpg

Compared to stock (holy crap that thing is a beast)

ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1462585785.638541.jpg

For anyone doing this, here is a tip/trick I used for reassembly. I should have taken a pic but I was too dang happy to get it back in once I did this.

Take the bottom white plastic perch, put the new spring on it, then put the black plastic spring perch on the top of the spring. Get a nice long zip tie or put 2 together. Route it through the top of the black plastic piece under the metal pin. Then route it around the bottom white plastic piece and compress it as much as you can and pull the zip tie. Be careful because it will want to walk off the bottom piece of it isn't centered. Once you get it compressed all the way then just slip the white plastic piece on the bottom back on, depress the pedal and the top piece should slip right into place. Then let the pedal go, cut the zip tie off and your done. Trying to compress it while you are down there and pushing the pedal in all at the same time is for the birds.

New spring is pretty sweet. I'm enjoying the new feel.

·
Registered
727 Posts
It's just too bad they didn't do a 35lb/in sprung for the 11-14. That 95 lb/in still looks beefier than the 3.7 spring or at best very similar rate. This is definitely not geared towards anyone other than the 5.0 unlike their spring for the 15+.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I just got this spring as well. The spring itself feels fantastic (though I feel like I have to relearn the clutch now).
It pretty much eliminates the springy uneven feel the stock spring gives you near the center of travel, but really doesn't feel much harder to push at all. Great balance and great job by steeda.

The downside - I didn't have the needle nose vicegrips or a helper, so I decided to disconnect the pedal from the master cylinder (as can be seen in some of the youtube videos for this...) and pull it up further to release the spring. Made removing the spring much easier, but I somehow managed to damage the master cylinder in the process and now it is leaking. So yeah I'll be replacing that master cylinder whenever the replacement shows up... :banghead:

Moral of the story, be very careful if you try an alternate installation method.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I somehow managed to damaged the master cylinder in the process and now it is leaking. So yeah I'll be replacing that master cylinder whenever the replacement shows up... :banghead:

Moral of the story, be very careful if you try an alternate installation method.
Yea sometimes things just go wrong in the pursuit of better performance. For me it was the inner shaft on top spring mount breaking off during uninstall. Ford sells them but I have to buy the whole pedal assembly. It will be here tomorrow. I feel your pain.:facepalm:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts