Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Any one use over drive?whats the use
The button your reffering actually turns overdrive off. It prevents your torque converter from locking up and getting a lower rpm on cruising speed. I may not be explaining right but on highway driving with it off will cause pretty poor mpg

·
ME Bloodhound
14,699 Posts
It is your highest gear in an automatic, used for saving gas pretty much. If you turn it off then you will run with your lower gears and wont go into the highest gear. You might as well leave it on all the time because if you ever need to accelerate hard just mash the pedal and it will automatically change gears.

---------- Post added at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 PM ----------

Thats the easy way to explain it.

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 PM ----------

Just be driving in your final gear then press the button to turn it off and it will automatically downshift.

·
Registered
410 Posts
It is your highest gear in an automatic, used for saving gas pretty much. If you turn it off then you will run with your lower gears and wont go into the highest gear. You might as well leave it on all the time because if you ever need to accelerate hard just mash the pedal and it will automatically change gears.

---------- Post added at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 PM ----------

Thats the easy way to explain it.

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 PM ----------

Just be driving in your final gear then press the button to turn it off and it will automatically downshift.
Is it safe to down shift with the stock auto transmission ??

·
Registered
598 Posts
Is it safe to down shift with the stock auto transmission ??
Yes it is safe. My 04 has the 4R75w and it has been built to hold 700-800 rwhp. I basically have a 3 speed with overdrive. I never go into OD or 4th gear under wide open boost pulls because it can damage and break the overdrive ban on cars that make a lot of HP. I have had my wave plates removed and added additional clutch discs to firm up the shifts and added a TCI deep sump pan.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
all overdrive is, is your final gear, like 5th on a manual. You want to use it as it is better for gas mileage etc, there is really no reason not to use it.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Somebody up there said it damage something...
If your is making over 400-450+ rwhp you do not want to shift into over drive you will eventually brake the over drive band and will have to rebuild your trans. This mainly occurs in high HP boosted cars. If you are a simple all bolt on car you don't have anything to worry about because your not making enough HP or TQ to break any thing.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If your is making over 400-450+ rwhp you do not want to shift into over drive you will eventually brake the over drive band and will have to rebuild your trans. This mainly occurs in high HP boosted cars. If you are a simple all bolt on car you don't have anything to worry about because your not making enough HP or TQ to break any thing.
O ok lols I'm new to the mod thing lols

·
Registered
598 Posts
Use overdrive, If you floor it in o/d then it is just going to downshift to a lower gear... There really is no point in turning it off.
Again you are correct with a car making normal power. If you allow a high horsepower car shift into 4 gear or OD it will eventually break your overdrive band. I have seen it an have heard of others doing this.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts