Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Its one of the rear O2 sensors, it does not effect the performance of the car at all. Its there to check cat efficiency for the OBD2 govt requirements. If you don't want to spend any $$ then I would just leave it alone. If you ever get an SCT chip the rear O2 sensors can be turned off.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Don't assume it's the O2 sensor offhand.

All the code means is that whatever the computer is seeing from that sensor it does not like.

It could be a chafed wire, which is a problem I had on a brand X. I'd at least put it up on stands and eyeball the wiring.

Steve

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, it was pretty cold this morning. Like 20* I think. It had only been running like 10 minutes before I left, and the engine wasn't warmed up yet. So I'm thinking it might have been the cold weather.

I went outside and deleted the code. If it sets again when I leave in another hour and a half I'll look more into it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Your sensor is electrically heated, which basically means it does not need heat from the engine to start working. Older O2 sensor designs did. 10 minutes should have been more than enough time for the O2 sensor to heat up so I doubt the lack of running time has anything to do with the code.

Steve

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:uhh:

Deleted the code again tonight, and let it run for a sec and the ran it down the street. Had it to 3k, went as far as 3rd gear, and had it up to 30MPH. Didn't go off. What the hell.

·
Registered
349 Posts
an off the cuff suggestion is that sensors don't usually go bad then come back to life. I'd lean more towards a wiring issue or poor connection.

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
actually it could be that your sensor was clogged with something like part of your cats and the exhaust blowing by it could have blown it away. Or it could just be that your computer hasn't thrown the code again yet. I personally would just replace it because I had the CEL light. it bothers me. I highly doubt the wiring is bad because it's wrapped pretty good down there. i would later do what justin says and turn them off, I did that to mine and now I have 2 spare o2 sensors. :D

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
see, just replace it, it might cost ya somewhere from 40-60 bucks for a new one, hopefully you can get it cheaper. Try ebay or terry at mdwest mustang. i got two from him for 35 bucks if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's why it's just gonna stay like that until I get ready to do the exhaust. I'll just keep checking it every once in awhile to make sure nothing else sets.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:uhh:

It's gone and and off all day today. I don't drive the car alot either so keep that in mind. Plus it's been throwing some water lately. Maybe I should park it in the shade on the cold frost mornings.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts