1,055 Posts
My brother has a 2012 v6 and wondering what's the highest octane he can run
Octane recommendations (v6)
Your vehicle is designed to use
“Regular” unleaded gasoline with a
pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87.
Some stations offer fuels posted as
“Regular” with an octane rating
below 87, particularly in high altitude areas. Fuels with octane levels below 87 are not recommended.
Do not be concerned if your engine sometimes knocks lightly. However, if it knocks heavily under most driving conditions while you are using fuel with the recommended octane rating, see your authorized dealer to prevent any engine damage

Octane recommendations (5.0L V8 engine)
Your vehicle will run normally on 87 octane regular fuel without damaging the engine, but premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 (R+M)/2 or higher is recommended for best overall performance.
For Shelby GT500 octane requirements, see the Shelby GT500 Supplement.

---------- Post added at 06:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:24 PM ----------

My brother has a 2012 v6 and wondering what's the highest octane he can run
In other words, if you have an untuned V6, you won't see much benefit from higher octane fuel.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Octane recommendations (v6)
Your vehicle is designed to use
“Regular” unleaded gasoline with a
pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87.
Some stations offer fuels posted as
“Regular” with an octane rating
below 87, particularly in high altitude areas. Fuels with octane levels below 87 are not recommended.
Do not be concerned if your engine sometimes knocks lightly. However, if it knocks heavily under most driving conditions while you are using fuel with the recommended octane rating, see your authorized dealer to prevent any engine damage

Octane recommendations (5.0L V8 engine)
Your vehicle will run normally on 87 octane regular fuel without damaging the engine, but premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 (R+M)/2 or higher is recommended for best overall performance.
For Shelby GT500 octane requirements, see the Shelby GT500 Supplement.

---------- Post added at 06:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:24 PM ----------

In other words, if you have an untuned V6, you won't see much benefit from higher octane fuel.
Would a higher octane be "better" for the engine, even if there is no noticeable difference? (Like in the "life span" of the engine)

·
Premium Member
25,464 Posts
if the engine can not modify its tune to burn the higher octane differently you get zero use out of it, octane is used to incease the amount of timing the car can handle without detonation. If your car is tuned to go up to say 93 then it will help. Older cars run 87 and have only one tune (does not change) so running anything else is useless.

·
Registered
185 Posts
if the engine can not modify its tune to burn the higher octane differently you get zero use out of it, octane is used to incease the amount of timing the car can handle without detonation. If your car is tuned to go up to say 93 then it will help. Older cars run 87 and have only one tune (does not change) so running anything else is useless.
I guess I can save some money by only putting 87 in my 2013 V6 (no modifications or tune changes)

·
Registered
203 Posts
You can find this on the internet but supposedly the stock tune will advance the timing until knock or pinging occurs then back it off, higher octane fuel will theoretically boost power, but we are talking like 5 HP Max, I know I've seen dyno charts somewhere

·
Registered
619 Posts
The winner is

You can find this on the internet but supposedly the stock tune will advance the timing until knock or pinging occurs then back it off, higher octane fuel will theoretically boost power, but we are talking like 5 HP Max, I know I've seen dyno charts somewhere
You are right 5 HP increase with 93 octane fuel, K&N drop-in maybe another 5,
maybe not. The new "Cyclone" 3.7 DOHC is a strong motor, enjoy!

·
Registered
730 Posts
While it won't make nearly as much power as it would if it was tuned, you will see some minimal gains. Our engines can advance and ****** timing. http://v6mustangperformance.com/news/ford-mustang-3-7l-v6-engine-explained/

·
Registered
1,776 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Ford calls Ti-VCT, variable valve timing on both intake and exhaust valves, a feature that allows a full 60 degrees of cam timing adjustment on the intake side and 50 degrees on the exhaust side. Meaning when using higher octane (premium or race fuel) the knock sensor will advance ignition timing to produce more power until they detect knock then will ****** it to optimize power and fuel economy. Being that I'm not an engineer nor claim to be I assume that is why they say the engine will produce considerably more power than the stock sae numbers. Like I stated it I don't think it will be significant gains compared to tuning but should be a little higher than stock #s. Is it worth the extra $ per gallon? Maybe, maybe not. Hope that helps a little, that's what I get out of it.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
It is better for running through your injectors and everything and it burns cleaner. I even use 93 in my 2000 expedition with almost 200000 miles. It won't make your car worse and trust me our cars love higher octane. It will even run c16 without modification our cars are incredible

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
It is better for running through your injectors and everything and it burns cleaner. I even use 93 in my 2000 expedition with almost 200000 miles. It won't make your car worse and trust me our cars love higher octane. It will even run c16 without modification our cars are incredible
The Ford engineers did a great job to design the 3.7 to run with 87 octane. A huge reason why I bought it, as I drive quite a few miles per week, and love the performance and fuel economy I get on 87 octane fuel. A $12.00 bottle of techtron fuel additive every 5 thousand miles will keep your injectors and fuel system clean.
Run the 87, and try to use decent grades of fuel, such as Shell, Mobile, etc, as they add fuel additives for cleaning in all their grades.

If you bought a tuner and have a tune loaded that runs with the higher octane, then yes, run the higher octane fuel. Running 93 octane in a stock setup is not going to be worth the extra 20 or 30 cents a gallon IMO.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ford calls Ti-VCT, variable valve timing on both intake and exhaust valves, a feature that allows a full 60 degrees of cam timing adjustment on the intake side and 50 degrees on the exhaust side. Meaning when using higher octane (premium or race fuel) the knock sensor will advance ignition timing to produce more power until they detect knock then will ****** it to optimize power and fuel economy. Being that I'm not an engineer nor claim to be I assume that is why they say the engine will produce considerably more power than the stock sae numbers. Like I stated it I don't think it will be significant gains compared to tuning but should be a little higher than stock #s. Is it worth the extra $ per gallon? Maybe, maybe not. Hope that helps a little, that's what I get out of it.
Well said..

·
Registered
185 Posts
The Ford engineers did a great job to design the 3.7 to run with 87 octane. A huge reason why I bought it, as I drive quite a few miles per week, and love the performance and fuel economy I get on 87 octane fuel. A $12.00 bottle of techtron fuel additive every 5 thousand miles will keep your injectors and fuel system clean.
Run the 87, and try to use decent grades of fuel, such as Shell, Mobile, etc, as they add fuel additives for cleaning in all their grades.

If you bought a tuner and have a tune loaded that runs with the higher octane, then yes, run the higher octane fuel. Running 93 octane in a stock setup is not going to be worth the extra 20 or 30 cents a gallon IMO.
Thanks for the info!

When mine gets back from the repair shop, and I can finally get the chance to take it from 4k to 5k (total) I will give that fuel additive a try.

How are you supposed to use it?
Put it in on an empty tank and then fill?
Mid tank?
Or full (or almost full) and then that?

·
Registered
789 Posts
Thanks for the info!

When mine gets back from the repair shop, and I can finally get the chance to take it from 4k to 5k (total) I will give that fuel additive a try.

How are you supposed to use it?
Put it in on an empty tank and then fill?
Mid tank?
Or full (or almost full) and then that?
I'm curious also. The manual says not to use additives.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts