Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, as some folks might remember, my A/T tailshaft had a lot of extra play in it. Last month, I took the car to the top-rated transmission shop in the area, and they replaced a bad needle bearing and thrust washer.

Ever since taking the car back, there's been a grind/whir from the front of the drivetrain that increases with driveline speed. I've taken the car back to the shop twice for them to investigate, and they agree that it is a driveline noise, heard best when the car is either accelerating or decelerating in gear. Putting in the new (lighter) DSS aluminum driveshaft (yay group buy) quieted things down a bit, but the noise has steadily grown in volume. I also can hear it over a wider and wider speed range (currently up to 40 mph). I also now notice the sound changes in pitch when the A/T shifts.

Spoke with the shop today, and they seem to feel it is from the rear end. They said for the first time today that they noticed odd backlash in the rear end. They state that holding one rear wheel held still and turning the pinion flange, they felt backlash, then resistance, than more backlash. They think the spider gears are bad. I don't agree with this, as the sound is heard best when the car is driving straight, it started immediately after they repaired the transmission, and is coming from the front and not the rear (the aluminum driveshaft also amplifies noises from the rear end, not quiets them as was the case hear). I also think that you would normally expect to feel backlash from ring+pinion, then if you kept applying torque (with one rear wheel held still), additional backlash from the spider gears.

The has at least agreed to take the car and listen with chassis ears to localize the noise. The shop has loads of glowing reviews, so I don't think they're trying to screw me, but I imagine they don't want to open up a transmission a second time and potentially not make profit on a labor warranty repair.

Thoughts? Obviously you can only go on what I've written, but would appreciate input from the fine folks of ME. :)

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Was the pinion angle checked/reset when the new 1 pc drive shaft went in?
EDIT: BTW...why wasn't the transmission work done under warranty?

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^I don't think so (didn't ask them to), but the DSS shaft has a rear CV joint so pinion angle problems shouldn't be a problem (eek...sounds redundant!). The car is also at stock ride height with stock suspension geometry.

Also, the noise was present and growing louder with the stock shaft. It's just like putting in the new shaft knocked down the volume knob a few notches but the noise is still getting louder at the same rate. My guess is the lighter aluminum shaft is putting less load on the drivetrain during accel/decel.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I wish I could give you an advice man but try doing a second opinion try the shop I told you about they are pretty good and would answer question you have.

MPT tune, 3:73 gears, borla stype, frrp x pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, airaid cai, Jlt separator, koni orange shocks and struts, SR Springs, gt500 mounts, J&M Panhard bar, Bmr LCA, 2010 gt500 wheels, roush chin splitter and RTR stripes... ? ?

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^They're definitely on the shortlist, but I want to avoid having too many cooks in the kitchen right now (especially as that might void the labor warranty from the shop I'm using now). If they can't/won't fix it, then I'll definitely be seeking a second opinion.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
^They're definitely on the shortlist, but I want to avoid having too many cooks in the kitchen right now (especially as that might void the labor warranty from the shop I'm using now). If they can't/won't fix it, then I'll definitely be seeking a second opinion.
Alryt man goodluck, by the way my car drove perfectly all the way to the show and I actually like your driveshaft compared to my old one when it was fine. It was so quite and no more vibrations for some reason.

MPT tune, 3:73 gears, borla stype, frrp x pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, airaid cai, Jlt separator, koni orange shocks and struts, SR Springs, gt500 mounts, J&M Panhard bar, Bmr LCA, 2010 gt500 wheels, roush chin splitter and RTR stripes... ? ?

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^ Sounds like you may have had an out-of-balance shaft from the factory...that slowly got worse as you put miles on it. You'll like the aluminum one even more! :)

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
^ Sounds like you may have had an out-of-balance shaft from the factory...that slowly got worse as you put miles on it. You'll like the aluminum one even more! :)
Im debating if I should install it myself or have the shop do it.. It will be coming tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK...car is back at the transmission shop for them to figure out the problem. Will update when I know.

Fortunately he shop is walking distance from where I live, which makes things a bit easier. :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Sorry to hear what happened to your transmission.

It is interesting to hear that aluminum ds quiets things down. You are comparing it with the stock steel ds, is that correct?

I have heard from others that aluminum ds tends to magnify driveline noises.

So, as some folks might remember, my A/T tailshaft had a lot of extra play in it. Last month, I took the car to the top-rated transmission shop in the area, and they replaced a bad needle bearing and thrust washer.

Ever since taking the car back, there's been a grind/whir from the front of the drivetrain that increases with driveline speed. I've taken the car back to the shop twice for them to investigate, and they agree that it is a driveline noise, heard best when the car is either accelerating or decelerating in gear. Putting in the new (lighter) DSS aluminum driveshaft (yay group buy) quieted things down a bit, but the noise has steadily grown in volume. I also can hear it over a wider and wider speed range (currently up to 40 mph). I also now notice the sound changes in pitch when the A/T shifts.

Spoke with the shop today, and they seem to feel it is from the rear end. They said for the first time today that they noticed odd backlash in the rear end. They state that holding one rear wheel held still and turning the pinion flange, they felt backlash, then resistance, than more backlash. They think the spider gears are bad. I don't agree with this, as the sound is heard best when the car is driving straight, it started immediately after they repaired the transmission, and is coming from the front and not the rear (the aluminum driveshaft also amplifies noises from the rear end, not quiets them as was the case hear). I also think that you would normally expect to feel backlash from ring+pinion, then if you kept applying torque (with one rear wheel held still), additional backlash from the spider gears.

The has at least agreed to take the car and listen with chassis ears to localize the noise. The shop has loads of glowing reviews, so I don't think they're trying to screw me, but I imagine they don't want to open up a transmission a second time and potentially not make profit on a labor warranty repair.

Thoughts? Obviously you can only go on what I've written, but would appreciate input from the fine folks of ME. :)

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, comparing it to the stock DS. Regarding the aluminum DS, the transmission noise got quieter, but overall driveline noise from the rear axle did increase.

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I hadn't heard from the shop for three days after dropping off my car, so I called them. They confirmed the issue is the transmission (yay I was right), but they say they were waiting on me to tell them how to proceed. It would've been nice if they had called to let me know that...LOL!

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Well, I hadn't heard from the shop for three days after dropping off my car, so I called them. They confirmed the issue is the transmission (yay I was right), but they say they were waiting on me to tell them how to proceed. It would've been nice if they had called to let me know that...LOL!
I hope you're not paying for it and it will be covered with there warranty.. What was the problem?

MPT tune, Axle exchange Aluminum driveshaft, 3:73 gears, borla stype, frrp x pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, airaid cai, Jlt separator, koni orange shocks and struts, SR Springs, gt500 mounts, J&M Panhard bar, Bmr LCA, 2010 gt500 wheels, roush chin splitter, roush louvers, and RTR stripes... ? ?

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They don't know...they have to drop the trans to figure it out. I reminded them that the problem only started after their repair and that I assumed the labor warranty applied.

Time to see how this top-rated shop manages.

·
Registered
621 Posts
At least they confirmed that it is the transmission. Step one!

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
True. They didn't seem to like my "I'm right" happy dance in their lobby, though, for some odd reason...;p

·
Registered
765 Posts
True. They didn't seem to like my "I'm right" happy dance in their lobby, though, for some odd reason...;p

This guy ^^^.

2013 pp mca 3.7 glass roof
2.5% dl tinted windows
Bbk shortys
20"resonators
Roush ab.
Bama/mpt tunes

More coming visually for now.

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So, after a bit more phone tag with the shop, they tell me they have the transmission apart and found some worn components (didn't say what). They will order those tomorrow, let me know the cost, and they will eat the labor. Hopefully none of the parts are expensive...I kinda doubt it for OEM Ford stuff.

I should have my car back Thursday (maybe).

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
Sorry the joker in me wanted to say..
1, Remove auto transmission and discard.
2. Replace with Manual.
JK. ?
I hope the get it resolved with minimal cost to you.

Sent from LG G3.

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry the joker in me wanted to say..
1, Remove auto transmission and discard.
2. Replace with Manual.
JK. ?
I hope the get it resolved with minimal cost to you.

Sent from LG G3.
Well played, sir. ;)

1 - 20 of 90 Posts