Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I got my new Alpine cd-player the guy working at the shop had a little tool to remove the stock (ford) headunit. But he told me all you really need is a wire clothes hanger to take it out. So now im trying to get the stock cd-player out with the hanger and its not working can someone tell me how to get this done w/o the tool? thx (2000 3.8L)

·
Premium Member
19,578 Posts
Just go to wal mart and spend 3 dollars and get the tool....

·
I liek gramer
7,941 Posts
The trick is how you bend the hangar, and in what direction you apply force. It's been a couple years since I've done this.... But you must make sure that the hangar goes far enough back to reach the clips, and you need to apply force towards the sides, but I'm not sure which side. Jiggle it up and down too. :) It just takes a little work.

·
I liek gramer
7,941 Posts
Did a little checking around.

You should have to pull the ends of the hanger apart, as in make your hands farther apart. :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nothing, it feels loose but i dont know. Im done for today, I dont know maybe the hanger wire (diameter) is too big? ill try it tomorrow when i have some light

·
Premium Member
19,578 Posts
Get the tool, insert them into the holes until you feel them almost click. It's kinda hard to tell when they're in, but you can. Then push them both slightly away from the radio. In my experience with these, you can normally get one side loose and the other one not loose, so just keep working with it until you get both sides loose and out. You'll probably end up cussing it out a few times and wanting to give up, but you won't get anywhere without that nice little 3 dollar tool..sorry. The tool has an indention toward the end of both pieces that hooks into the stock radio to help pull it out.

·
Premium Member
19,578 Posts
Haha...just go spend 3 damn dollars at wal mart and buy the tools.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
I dunno about the rest of you.. but I can't get mine out without removing the center stack bezel then the 4 screws holding it in..

·
Premium Member
19,578 Posts
MonteCitan said:
I dunno about the rest of you.. but I can't get mine out without removing the center stack bezel then the 4 screws holding it in..
I'm talking about for Pre 01 stangs, 01 up has 2 screws holding the stereo in.

·
Premium Member
19,578 Posts
Haha...I can take my stereo out, and have another one in, and my dash put back together in under 5 minutes. Beat that with your "cooler" stang lol.

·
Premium Member
19,578 Posts
But seriously...if you don't wanna go buy the tool, ask the stereo shop to borrow their's for like 2 minutes. I bought a set of these from wal mart in like 99 and use them all the time. I just keep them in my stereo tool bag along with all my other stereo tools.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.