Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys like the title says I wanted to see what lighting ideas any of you had to give the car more light. The reason why is that I'm doing a lot more driving at night with the change of time and I drive down dark country roads and wanted to get more light. Now don't get me wrong the headlights are great and if there's no good options then I'll still be totally happy. Let me give you guys a little more info on the car. All I have is the headlights nothing more no bumper or grill fog lights. Completely stock front and I would like to keep it that way. I know it would be easy to just buy a gt grill and fog lights or the bumper mounted fog lights but then there's the extra cost of the starkey harness. While I've seen round work lights that could maybe mount to the grill and lights bars like the ones that go on pickup trucks but those would be hard to attach. Anyways does anyone have any other unique ideas that'll add more visibility while driving.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have a light bar behind my grill, very easy to install. There is a flat piece of sheet metal right where the radiator supports are, just drill 2 holes to mount and run power ground and splice into the high beam wire at the headlight as the switch

Sent from my LG-AS811 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Check out my photos. LED ran behind the front grill and inside the scoop. Cheap and easy!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like your lights hawkstang I too have the leds under the hood scoop and while they are awesome let's be honest those don't give much light when driving at night.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I found some old fog lights with 9 leds I had laying around they are sort of like the 2005-2012 raxiom lights but a tiny bit smaller. What I did to mount them was remove the radiator cover and then since they have a little bracket that allows them to tilt up and down I just got a screw through the little hole where the front middle push pin clips would go and tightened it with a nut. Since they are a bit smaller than the gt fog lights they fit and hang down to each side of the pony emblem which lets all the light through those big holes where air should come in. Also since they aren't attached to the grill but they are offset back a bit in theory they shouldn't block air flow to the engine. They turned out nice they provide a lot more light than the GT fog lights I have seen and they also light up the road a lot more even with high beam on. Oh and they also match really well with the HIDs. Only downside is that they are really noticeable behind the grill but I can live with it. I did only install one though so maybe when both are installed it'll look better cosmetically as well as lighting up the road even more. If anyone is thinking about doing this to their car let me know and I'll try to guide anyone in the right direction. I'm sure theres a lot of people who want to do it but don't want to buy the gt grill plus having to buy the expensive gt fog light. Most people mount their lights behind their grill anyways. Plus you can get 6 of these fog lights off ebay for about 50 bucks and they are long lasting led and being off road they are really bright.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now if anyone has any ideas on how to wire these fog lights that would be awesome because I have no clue what to do. I'm debating whether to go the easy route and just mount a separate switch inside the car or to use the automatic headlight switch I already have with the pull out fog light knob. Thing is I have heard horror stories about wiring going wrong in these cars and I would like to keep it as easy as possible I don't mind using a simple switch but I also feel that I would leave it on since I'm already so used to the auto headlight switch.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
My bad, I thought you were looking to make your ride more visible to others. Doh.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
After searching the internet and watching many youtube videos I've come to the conclusion of, Fog light on all Mustangs are just for 'show'. They don't do much of anything, nothing like when adding them to you car in the 1960's and the 1970's. I added some front bumper mount universal fit fog lights to my new 1976 AMC Hornet :(. They were brighter than my headlights and they were 'yellow" colored, the way fog lights should be. Those days are gone (thank Goodness) :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You're completely right they are for show considering the intensity of the 2014 hids. The thing is though that I'm suing led off road lights for fogs so they add a tiny bit more visibility definetly wouldn't want to use them in traffic tho because they will blind anyone in front. But these lights man they are turning out great the way I'm installing them I just get more and more ideas. For example I was testing them on the battery and noticed that if I let them off the battery slightly they would dim down a bit and still look real nice so maybe I can hook them up to parking lights so they'll be dim during the day while driving and somehow make them go full intensity when I flip a switch when I need more light. So yeah these lights are mostly for show but boy they look good

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
IMG_0486.JPG
IMG_0734.JPG

In the one where they are dimmed down I lowered the light intake to the phone not sure what's it's called and then in the second that's just the low beam I think with the fog lights. Again the lights are mounted behind the grill so the ponys tail slightly blocks some of the light and it doesn't really show how brights the lights can be.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts