Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I notice while replacing my fuel filter yesterday that the underside of my car is really wet. Then I looked around the valve cover and the picture is what i saw......is this just a valve cover gasket? I checked it before I rolled out this morning and there was nothing on the stick! Took nearly 2 quarts! The funny thing is is that there is not major puddles on the ground. Just a drop here and there. What's going on??

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
Have you ever removed the cam covers before?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just got the car last week. A bunch of work has been done to so I don't know if they have been or not.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Probably burned alot of that not leaked

·
Banned
510 Posts
Year and milage? Clean everything up and take it from there. Probably a combination of gaskets and blow by. VC gaskets for sure by the looks of it. I have a minor drip here and there, no big deal my car has 81k on it. If you wind out the gears and play a lot you lose oil to blow by. I probably use like 1/4 qt per month.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The part about the underside of the car being really wet is bothersome to me. Keep an eye on that and see if you can trace the source of the leak just in case it's something other than the VC. Also, you mention that you've owned the car for a week so I think it's odd that the seller didn't top off all the fluids to improve the selling value. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
366 Posts
This may sound stupid but it is something I do, whenever I buy anything used.

I clean the h*** out if it. Inside, outside, top and bottom or underneath. When it comes to vehicles purchases. Even if it's all clean and pretty. I change the oil, the transmission oil and in my case the gear oil to the brand I prefer. This applies even if they said it was recently done, I want to to see the receipts. If it wasn't performed at a Ford dealership. I do it emmediately. Especially, since you really don't know how well the previous owner maintained it. Unless he/she kept all maintenance records. But I digress! Buy a degreaser and or steam clean your engine as well as under the car then dry it off well! Inspect everything and as I said before, don't take anything for granted or assume that they did it.

This way you can see for yourself if there are any new leaks! It just takes all the guess work out of, Is this old stuff or is it new. I'm talking about all oils, fuilds and such. You'll know because you cleaned it previously.

That said, enjoy your new Mustang!

·
Registered
46 Posts
..... This way you can see for yourself if there are any new leaks! It just takes all the guess work out of, Is this old stuff or is it new. I'm talking about all oils, fuilds and such. You'll know because you cleaned it previously.

That said, enjoy your new Mustang!

Great advice. Even on general lube and maintenance, I clean any areas I've worked on just to make sure that leaks or oddities I find the next time was caused since I last did the maintenance.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Great advice. Even on general lube and maintenance, I clean any areas I've worked on just to make sure that leaks or oddities I find the next time was caused since I last did the maintenance.
Thank you! I totally agree with what you say. As a kid, I would sit and watch my grandfather work on his Cuda, and EVERY time he was getting his tools out he would say the same thing and then repeat them as he was putting his tools away. I've taught both my daughters the same. Sound Advice.

·
Registered
916 Posts
SCCofSV said:
Thank you! I totally agree with what you say. As a kid, I would sit and watch my grandfather work on his Cuda, and EVERY time he was getting his tools out he would say the same thing and then repeat them as he was putting his tools away. I've taught both my daughters the same. Sound Advice.
Yep that's definitely the smart way to go about your routine maintenance

1 - 12 of 12 Posts