Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have had a JLT V2 for close to 10K miles. I drive pretty conservative most all the time with mixed city/hiway. Mine definitely catches oil, not a whole lot but some. Don't really know if it does anything for performance.

Reactions: Renownedd

·
Registered
232 Posts
It's not a performance mod. It's a preventative maintenance mod. It's definitely worth it.

Side note: Are you going to ask if everything single mod is worth it? Read Volt's sticky and read some reviews. They will tell you a lot.

·
Registered
346 Posts
It's not a performance mod. It's a preventative maintenance mod. It's definitely worth it.
It is a performance mod. Oil in the cylinder lowers the octane of the fuel which may prevent timing from being at the optimal level.

Whether this makes a difference or not, can't say.

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
It is a performance mod. Oil in the cylinder lowers the octane of the fuel which may prevent timing from being at the optimal level.

Whether this makes a difference or not, can't say.
It doesn't add performance but rather helps to maintain it. Imo I'd say its preventive also, as its there to maintain performance.

LG G4

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
One word ====YES
If you are going to be keeping your car for a very long time.
Ronnie

·
Admin
5,822 Posts
Don't buy two, unless you are into decorating your engine. Only the passenger side requires the catch can, as the drivers side is where the air is drawn into the crankcase. It's the passenger side that expels the crankcase fumes back into the intake, and this is where the oil mist becomes the issue that the catch can captures prior to it contaminating the throttle body (over time).

·
Registered
69 Posts
YES!!!! once you get it and use it and see how much oil you are collecting, you gonna wish you got one sooner.

I say check it every few months and see what you got, I bet you'll be surprised like I was. I couldn't believe my car ran 13K without one, I'm glad I got one.

I wish they had used aluminium elbows that connect the hose to the container.... I don't like the plastic but whatever, it all good.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
They all work about the same but I like my JLT because it is easy to put on and take off to empty, The JLT uses genuine "FORD" hoses and just replaces the stock hose. No cutting, No fitting, No drilling, No trying to find a hose that don't collapse when hot.
It is just a no brainer easy oil catch can that works great.
Ronnie

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
I really didn't either but Ronnie kept talking about it so for 50$ I picked one up from our classifieds and said what the hell.
Now I wish it was purchased from day one after seeing how much this thing catches, that would otherwise end up in the intake.
The first time I checked it I was like holy **** lol!!
It definitely works.
LG G4

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Like I said, If you are going to be keeping your car for a very long time it is good to have. If your the type that trades in every few years; don't worry about it.
Ronnie

·
Registered
346 Posts
I say check it every few months and see what you got, I bet you'll be surprised like I was. I couldn't believe my car ran 13K without one, I'm glad I got one.
I would say check it a lot more often than that until you establish how much you are collecting. I know my UPR can will have almost an inch of condensation with some oil floating on top in the winter months.

I have a monthly task on my phone to check the oil and dump the catch cans on all of my vehicles.

BTW, the UPR cans are a little pricy but are considered to be one of the top two or three available. Also, replace the factory hoses with much nicer quick connect s on both ends.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
In 2010 when the 2011 Mustang first started being sold, JLT made one for the GT but not for the V6 :(. I bought one made for the GT and cut the formed hoses to remove the fittings then bought me some high pressure fuel line and made my own hoses. I've used the same JLT catch can ever since. I've replaced the plastic fittings that screw in the catch can with brass ones, bought from my local hardware store :)

Like Ronnie said, if you plan on keeping your Mustang for a long time, buy a catch can :)

·
Banned
2,140 Posts
That JLT one is just too much damn money for a can and a couple of rubber hoses. $150? Maybe when my student loans are paid off....lol

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I want to thank everyone for their input. I was on the fence about it but now I am for sure going to get one. I plan on keeping the car for a long time as long as I dont break down and just get a 5.0 lol which probably wont happen but I have been thinking about it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don't buy two, unless you are into decorating your engine. Only the passenger side requires the catch can, as the drivers side is where the air is drawn into the crankcase. It's the passenger side that expels the crankcase fumes back into the intake, and this is where the oil mist becomes the issue that the catch can captures prior to it contaminating the throttle body (over time).
Yeah buy 2 (one for each side) only if you have a turbo/boosted V6. Make sure you install a check valve (very important) on the PCV side. The hose from the can to the intake. That way to are trapping the gunk oil vapors in boost mode as well.;):);):)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts