Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WHat should it be? Because last time the dealer put 5k on the sticker but this time they put 3k?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I go 3, regardless oil suggestions

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Butch said:
I go 3, regardless oil suggestions
I push my car pretty hard every day!!! Not very many miles, but i work it in those miles. So I go 3 mo or 3 k miles.

If you drive conservative, 5-6 is probably fine. That I think is the factory interval (if not more).

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
The oil change places are in the business of ...............................selling you oil.

So of course they want you to change it frequently, no matter what the manufacturer recommendation is.

The manufacturer is in the business of building cars and warranties those builds. So they take the time to figure out what the oil change interval should be. If they are wrong - then they get to put a new engine in the car.

Which recommendation is probably the correct one?

When I had my 2006 I had the oil tested every third oil change. They had me increase the interval to 8,000 miles. I drove the car hard - over 3,000 miles a month with weekend drag racing on a supercharged V6. I sold the car with 203,000 miles on it and the last test said no problems or abnormal wear. The new owner said it is running great still.

On the 2013 Ford added an oil monitor and I'm following that. My wife doesn't drive her MKZ hard at all and she gets a lot more life on her oil. I still drive the car hard so have to change more frequently than she does - even then it is more than 5,000 miles, and a lot more than 3,000. If you change it more frequently it may give you "peace of mind" but you are wasting your money. Get the oil tested (I used blackstone labs) and see what they say about your car.

·
Premium Member
6,120 Posts
NicholasP said:
WHat should it be? Because last time the dealer put 5k on the sticker but this time they put 3k?
I go 5K if not a little over. I think they are busy and forget. They wrote 3 on my moms to. The only real way to know is to have an analysis done
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

·
Premium Member
6,120 Posts
JimC said:
The oil change places are in the business of ...............................selling you oil.

So of course they want you to change it frequently, no matter what the manufacturer recommendation is.

The manufacturer is in the business of building cars and warranties those builds. So they take the time to figure out what the oil change interval should be. If they are wrong - then they get to put a new engine in the car.

Which recommendation is probably the correct one?

When I had my 2006 I had the oil tested every third oil change. They had me increase the interval to 8,000 miles. I drove the car hard - over 3,000 miles a month with weekend drag racing on a supercharged V6. I sold the car with 203,000 miles on it and the last test said no problems or abnormal wear. The new owner said it is running great still.

On the 2013 Ford added an oil monitor and I'm following that. My wife doesn't drive her MKZ hard at all and she gets a lot more life on her oil. I still drive the car hard so have to change more frequently than she does - even then it is more than 5,000 miles, and a lot more than 3,000. If you change it more frequently it may give you "peace of mind" but you are wasting your money. Get the oil tested (I used blackstone labs) and see what they say about your car.
+ 1 on that Jim! Ford spent a lot of $ on R&D to determine the exact grade, fill level, and duration. Now I'm sure that 5K number is a fleet average among gasoline vehicles.

Enterprise makes their fleet clients go 6,000 miles on who knows what oil before changing.

·
Banned
8,044 Posts
i just keep a close eye on the oil. if it looks clean still then it is most likely not broken down and the filter in most likely clean. usually the filter is what is to be more cautious of. if the oil still looks clean then the filter is probably ok. i also feel for grit in the oil to.
im sure some guys are scared to use this procedure or may think this isnt a good idea. but it has never failed me and my engines are always in good shape when i take apart. but if you dont know what younare looking for then dont do this. and of course this isnt as good as a lab. also if my engine is using oil then may as well change it. :good:

also the oil will usually say how long it is rated to last.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
i use to manage and oil place and i've seen some pretty gunked up oil...even though i know it's more about making bank i will always give my cars a 3k mile change. i don't baby my car at all and if spending $30 every other month helps my car run better if just slightly. i'm ok with that

·
Registered
106 Posts
nhcowboy said:
I push my car pretty hard every day!!! Not very many miles, but i work it in those miles. So I go 3 mo or 3 k miles.

If you drive conservative, 5-6 is probably fine. That I think is the factory interval (if not more).
The owners Manuel says every 10k for the 3.7 we got????

·
Registered
106 Posts
primer2tone said:
In my 5.0 I did 5K intervals for the first 30K now, I'll do 3K from here on out.
What does the owners Manuel when to change it on the 5.0?

·
Registered
621 Posts
The newer Stang's have a sensor that will light up when it's time to change.

·
It's not me, it's you.
6,752 Posts
Yeah, you can changes the values of the "Oil Change Reminder" in engineering mode. I set mine to 60% oil life after I change it so that it trips around 3K.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
One person told me 3k and then they said 5k ... I went with 5k ... Kinda crazy Toyota says 10k....

·
Registered
344 Posts
I had a leased Yaris for a while, which sucked, but I pushed that thing to an easy 10k between changes if not more (KM's after all)...

With my new baby though, maybe 3k (kilometers again) between changes.

·
Premium Member
5,640 Posts
I run royal purple w/motorcraft filters. I run 5k change filter add a quart and run another 5k then change it all.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts