Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK its been quite a while it seems since I last changed my oil.
But i bought all the stuff a few days ago and I go out today to do it and my cars parked at the bottom of my hill right over a big long gap in the road, from erotion, so i choose to do it there.

My problem is this, i CANNOT get that ####### filter off for ANYTHING.

Ive tried and tried and it wont fucking budge, i was told to let the car warm up first to heat the oil up alittle bit, but im not sure how much of a role warming it up will do with getting my oil filter off easier.

My car runs fine right now, and it is leaking oil right now, but its because the seal ring around the base of the Dipstick is loose.

I needa just take a powerwasher to the bottom of my car, its pretty gross around the front base where the front axel is ( or whatever its called)

The grip part at the bottom of the filter is starting to fade off, and it seems I cant get a good grip on the filter for ####, and if I do, it WILL NOT move, this pisses me off.

ANy ideas? WD40?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yea and my dad thinks im stupid because I cant get it off, but i guess he forgot that HE torqued it on last time. I'm going to welcome him getting it off without any kind of sprays or chemicals.
I should have sprayed some wd 40 up in there but i was too pissed to do it, he got a new tool to loosen filters, its a piece of #### with a rubber grip thats tearing off, i think I needa start buying tools maybe, :x

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
Torqued it on?!?!

I thought it was just supposed to be tight...

It doesn't matter how much you damage it to get it off.. Man poke a hole in it with a screw driver and twist it off.. Put a pipe wrench on it.. Don't worry about bending it (once you bend it, it's going to really fold on itself, so be ready for it)

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
exactly, put oil on the rubber seal, then turn it til it makes contact, then another 1/2 to 3/4 turn, no more, do not over tighten!!, this should be written on all oil filters, lol.

I like the K&N filters, they have the shape of a 1" bolt stamped into the filter case, use a 1" wrench for a filter wrench to take it off. Works great, never use any wrench to put one on, hand tight only

·
Registered
214 Posts
I would have used the screw driver, but the 1" bolt one the K&N filter is pretty nice ;)

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I can break alot of them loose by hand. Tight ones too! I've worked at walmart auto center for awhile. Try using a strap style wrench, close to the base plate (where is screws on) of the filter. I didn't see anyone else say this, but , make sure you are turning it the right way. Twist left. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I changed the oil in my ex wife's Ranger behind this teenager who did her's for a "favor", he must have put the thing on with a filter wrench and torqued it down good and tight, had to do the driving a screwdriver through the filter thing, and it was still fighting hard not to come off, lol. :D :shock:

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
turn it to the left not the right :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
righty tighty, lefty loosey, yeah yeah, I know that, lol.

·
Registered
414 Posts
The last time my Fiancee got her oil changed she took it somewhere and they didn't replace the oil filter, just took it off, and poured it out or something. It was so torqued down I nearly gave myself a hernia trying to get it off, not only that but they overfilled it by at least a quart. Never letting her do that again. I'm doing her oil changes from now on.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
Gorilla Mechanics need to go back and work on tractors or M1 Abrams battle tanks. It is hard to find quick change oil places with good help they are all flunkies

·
Registered
414 Posts
I tend to agree. Finding a good body shop is kinda hard too.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
Actually that is a little easier cause all you need to do is look for nice custom paint and body work and ask where they got it done.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
It's not they cant but they dont pay attention and they use the automated oil dispenser and dont put enough or they put in to much. I always have them put Synthetic and make them show me the containers

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I do alot of oil changes for walmart. I get so many where you think that they put the filter on with an impact and one of those cups.I guess they see the 3/4 turn after gastket seats, and somehow think 3 to 4 turns. Some people are just too damn stupid. :shock: 94sexystang hasn't posted since last month....to the day, hope the oil was changed :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts