Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what type of oil should i use in my 2001 mustang v6? is there any good brands of oil? and what are your opinons on synthtic oil? also are there any good oil filters?

ps
does anybody happen to know what size bolt is on the oil pan to drain the oil.

all help is greatly appreciated.

thanks,

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what tpye of oil and filter are you using? i heard mobil 1 full synthetic is good, but what tpye of oil filter? are those k7n oil filters any good ?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
i use mobil 1 synthetic 10w-30 with a fram filter usually.

dont be fooled and think youre gonna see any hp gains with synthetic oil though. its just easier on the engine and can go longer without changing. i would say about 5000mi instead of 3000mi for regular oil

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
http://www.v6stangs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=77

Corey made this if you want to read it, a little info on oils.

also about your question.
Not all oil drain plugs are the same size. All you need is a good set of standard and metric sockets and you'll figure it out.
If you wanna read this as well a quick howto on oil changes.
http://www.v6stangs.com/how_to/maintenance/oil_change/

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
who needs filters? i just stick a coffee filter in my oil spout, and im good to go

·
Registered
529 Posts
damn, if they would only put that nice grippy stuff on other filter brands!!!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
All modern oils must be made to the same specifications, most of us, myself included still have our own personal favorite brands though, we could argue from now on and not all of us will agree on it. My own personal favs are Castrol and Havoline. :D

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
Hey Rick I just changed my oil Sunday and I tried the Havoline Synthetic for the first time!! I will see how it does ;)

Charles you say Fram is not good that is interesting because Motorcraft is made by Fram !!!!!! That is straight from a Ford tech rep. Not to mention I have been using Fram for over 20 years. But in all actuallity any name brand filter will do as long as you change them at reccomended service intervals

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Danger Dude said:
Hey Rick I just changed my oil Sunday and I tried the Havoline Synthetic for the first time!! I will see how it does ;)

Charles you say Fram is not good that is interesting because Motorcraft is made by Fram !!!!!! That is straight from a Ford tech rep. Not to mention I have been using Fram for over 20 years. But in all actuallity any name brand filter will do as long as you change them at reccomended service intervals
i was reading this all from work. We have a big book that has all manufacturers and ect.. its an industrial standard. Air filters, oil filters, oils, ect was all rated. Also how they were made and their materials, I also work at sears auto center, i was reading the reviews in the book Its how they decide what brands to use/ recommend, so its not like this is my opinion.
And what i read motorcraft wasnt manufactured by fram.
Motorcraft manufactures lines of their own products.....

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
Smokedya95stang said:
Danger Dude said:
And what i read motorcraft wasnt manufactured by fram.
Motorcraft manufactures lines of their own products.....
Well motorcraft does not make all they sell. Do you think they package there own oil NO!!! Motorcraft (Ford) is like all big companies they contract and outsource alot of their products because it is cheaper than having thousands of people on payroll making every little widget they sell and have to pay their insurances and deal with union workers!!!

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
Like any contract you have engineering specifications that are required to be met and Ford like all companies paying for parts to be manufactured using there name demands there specification be met!!
I am very knowledgeable in this area because it is my job as a Quality Engineering Analyst to make sure all the vendors on contract are manufacturing to Lockheed Martin's specifications

;) ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts