Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im up for my next oil change, last time i did my oil change i put 5w50 motorcraft with a ford racing filter, my engine started to do a knocking sound, changed the oil to 5w 20 motorcraft with stock filter, kocking went away instantly, learned my lesson.

Now out here in Miami its hot, always hot, and will be hot forever!

Should i stay with motorcraft 5w20 or change brand not thickness, which was most likely what made that sound on the engine.

What about filter? Stock or ford racing?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm in Tampa and run 5w30. That's what Ford recommends no matter what the temp is. I just use a royal purple oil and a Ford filter

·
Registered
148 Posts
If you have a new mustang you should run the recommended 5w20 oil.The newer mustang engines have so many small lubricating channels.If you used a thicker
oil in the oil change thats probably why you had engine noise.If you want to increase
your time and mileage between oil changes use synthetic oil.It is more expensive,but
is the best for your engine.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you have a new mustang you should run the recommended 5w20 oil.The newer mustang engines have so many small lubricating channels.If you used a thicker
oil in the oil change thats probably why you had engine noise.If you want to increase
your time and mileage between oil changes use synthetic oil.It is more expensive,but
Thanks royal, motorcraft or mobile 1¿

·
Registered
148 Posts
Well,there all good, but most important is proper viscosity as stated in your owners manual.Also what you get the best deal on.I usually have always done my own oil changes,but being under warranty I just take it to my stealership.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well,there all good, but most important is proper viscosity as stated in your owners manual.Also what you get the best deal on.I usually have always done my own oil changes,but being under warranty I just take it to my stealership.
I like doing my own, the 5w50 was the dealer, they thought it was a track pack! Lol

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
5W50, your lucky you didn't lock the motor up. As stated above, there are small misting channels that require the lighter weight oil. This motor is a completely new design, the 4.6 is not even close.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
5W50, your lucky you didn't lock the motor up. As stated above, there are small misting channels that require the lighter weight oil. This motor is a completely new design, the 4.6 is not even close.
Yes thats why i changed it

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glad it didn't mess anything up. Why would a dealership even have that oil. That's what air cooled motors run.
Dont know and the guy is a great guy and the best down here, according to all south Florida, maybe it was who ever brought him the quarts, idk, but they changed it for free back to what it was suppose to be

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
AM has great price on RP. Free shipping and with the forum discount it's hard to beat. I run RP oil and a RP oil filter. No complaints.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
False info here. Using thicker oil is not a problem. Please don't spread info on things you know nothing of.
I like doing my own, the 5w50 was the dealer, they thought it was a track pack! Lol
The Trac Pac cars use 5w-50. The difference in the engines between the trac pac cars and yours is absolutely nothing. They are exactly the same. Ford specs 5w-50 for the trac pac cars for what they deem how the car will be used.
Lock up a motor? Seriously? There are no small misting channels. Trust me. I use Amsoil 10w-30 along with many others. No problems.
Glad it didn't mess anything up. Why would a dealership even have that oil. That's what air cooled motors run.
The reason why Ford switched to 5w-20 oil years ago was to meet tougher cafe standards and for gas mileage. Nothing more.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Grabber Blue5.0 said:
False info here. Using thicker oil is not a problem. Please don't spread info on things you know nothing of.

The Trac Pac cars use 5w-50. The difference in the engines between the trac pac cars and yours is absolutely nothing. They are exactly the same. Ford specs 5w-50 for the trac pac cars for what they deem how the car will be used.

Lock up a motor? Seriously? There are no small misting channels. Trust me. I use Amsoil 10w-30 along with many others. No problems.

The reason why Ford switched to 5w-20 oil years ago was to meet tougher cafe standards and for gas mileage. Nothing more.
I guess well take your word over 5.0mustangs& super fords then. That's where I read it.
March 2010

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
I guess well take your word over muscle mustangs& fast fords then. That's where I read it.
Show me. I'm sure you didn't understand what you read and I'm not saying that to be mean. I've got the magazine. Tell me the page you read differently and if I'm wrong I will publically apologize to you. Trust me I'm not wrong.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Grabber Blue5.0 said:
Show me. I'm sure you didn't understand what you read and I'm not saying that to be mean. I've got the magazine. Tell me the page you read differently and if I'm wrong I will publically apologize to you. Trust me I'm not wrong.
I edited my post

·
Registered
3,743 Posts

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
The 3rd post says the oil squirters were removed in 13, that's what I was refering to.
That's still up for debate as I've seen a 2013 that still had the oil squirters. Regardless the trac pac cars as evident by the oil cap call for 5w-50. No difference in engines between either one.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts