Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you guys have found my knowledge for cars is very limited. I've gotten 2 oil changes since I bought my car brand new and the third is about 300 miles away, currently 10,0XX miles . I've paid both times cuz I thought it was a big hassle and I wouldn't save a whole lot of money if I were to do it myself. Recently I thought changing my oil is a good way to get me under the car and get my hands dirty and learn about my car. So I wanna change my oil. Since many may have the same basic car as I do I thought you all may be experts so who better to ask.
I want to know what size tools I need to loosen the oil pan bolt and if I really needed something to loosen the oil filter or if I could do it w/ my hand. Which of the two should I loosen first? Where should I expect oil to leak out from? Anything I should know or maybe cautious of? Give me some feed back and step by step instructions. I plan on parking my car where theres a hole in the ground to give me room to work and lifting my car w/ its jack. Recommendations greatly appreciated.

·
I liek gramer
8,537 Posts
I just changed mine saturday, you will probably need a tool to get the oil filter off, esp if you took it somewhere last time they probably wrenched it on. they make a tool specifically for that.

oil will come from the drain plug and from the filter. GL catching it all :)

·
Registered
529 Posts
I caught all of mine last time :D

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
Guys do not tighten the oil filter with a tool, Hand tight is enough. if you cant get it off with your hands use a jar opener ( thin rubber sheet about 6" square) found in most of your MAMA's kitchens.if you can then use a tool. When puttin one back on put a thin line of oil on the seal and screw it on by hand once you hit resistance go till it stops. That is it. Once it gets hot and cold the sucker with tighten even more.

·
I liek gramer
8,537 Posts
i never tighten mine w/ a tool, i just hand tighten it like corey said. It only makes it a PITA to get off later. I do have a tool though, just rarely use it.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Tell me about it... I do oil changes all day and its a real pain when someone brings there car after some grease monkey cranked the filter on there. Do just as Corey said ;)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the link. I'm gonna try it this weekend. What type of oil do you guys suggest I use, and oil filter. I drive my car about 50 miles everyday in everyday city traffic and freeway about 50/50 w/ the occasional punch to the pedal (to race or to just step on it).
My car says i should use 5-20 when i got it changed they put 10-30 they said cuz its summer. What should i be using? I live in northern california. days are 80s as highs and 50s for lows.
What brand and **** should I use on my car?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Feedback greatly appreciated. Also, I feel like i get very little miles per tank full, how many miles do you get? I get about 225miles per tank full w/ 100% stock car.

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
I just got 400... it was like 396, and the low fuel light turned on... so I got gas. The light was on for like 30 miles as I had to get gas somewhere, and this is Iowa... not suburbian CA... but yeah, 396 miles.... read my sig for my mods. I have an automatic

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So getting 225 per tank full is a result of my heavy driving habits I would guess, right? I would usually get 200-210 and I thought that was very little so I tried driving slower and I got to 235, but I had no idea I should be getting 300/tank, damn.
About the oil, what type or brand do you guys recommend?

·
Banned
11,872 Posts
megax29 said:
So getting 225 per tank full is a result of my heavy driving habits I would guess, right? I would usually get 200-210 and I thought that was very little so I tried driving slower and I got to 235, but I had no idea I should be getting 300/tank, damn.
About the oil, what type or brand do you guys recommend?
Mobile 1 or Castrol Synthetic

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I favor mobil 1, but the number thing is what i'm concerned about 5-20 or 10-30?

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
I see mobil 1 has a 0W-20 replacement oil for our engines, (ones that run 5W-20)... what do you guys think of that? yay or nay?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts