Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My oil pressure reads on the "o" of normal when first started. Then in 5-10 minutes later it'll be on the "m". All my vehicles has always been opposite. High pressure then after warmed up it gets lower, not higher.

96gt. 5w20 oil. What would cause this? It was bout 34 degrees ths morning. Thanks

·
It's not me, it's you.
6,752 Posts
I don't know what's causing it. But positive pressure is a good thing. But then again, those factory oil pressure gauges are not very accurate. Maybe you should upgrade to a psi oil pressure gauge so you can keep better track of it?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know it don't make sense. That's what I was thinking faulty guage. Just went out and started and pressure went right to the "m". Its not cold today like yesterday.

Thanks primer. I already want a pillar pod so atleast I know one guage I need. Thanks

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
primer2tone said:
I don't know what's causing it. But positive pressure is a good thing. But then again, those factory oil pressure gauges are not very accurate. Maybe you should upgrade to a psi oil pressure gauge so you can keep better track of it?
+11. The pressure gauges in our cars are more like Fancy Idiot Lights then anything else!..

·
It's not me, it's you.
6,752 Posts
jdavis96gt said:
I know it don't make sense. That's what I was thinking faulty guage. Just went out and started and pressure went right to the "m". Its not cold today like yesterday.

Thanks primer. I already want a pillar pod so atleast I know one guage I need. Thanks
No problem. If I might make a suggestion... A coolant temp gauge would be a good number 2. I know it seems kinda redundant but as Eturner put it, the factory gauges are just fancy idiot lights. Oil pressure and Coolant temperature are two very important things to monitor. They would be like an early warning detection that something is wrong. If you go with a 3 pod pillar a wide band Air/Fuel ratio gauge would also be useful.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No problem. If I might make a suggestion... A coolant temp gauge would be a good number 2. I know it seems kinda redundant but as Eturner put it, the factory gauges are just fancy idiot lights. Oil pressure and Coolant temperature are two very important things to monitor. They would be like an early warning detection that something is wrong. If you go with a 3 pod pillar a wide band Air/Fuel ratio gauge would also be useful.
Ye that's the 2 I was going to get oil + water. Is the wide band that important? I know your air/fuel mixture is important. Prob just get double pillar, then get rid of clock. I like how the guages look in place of clock. Is wide band so you can adjust or just monitor. I remember seeing them for $150 or so. Just getting started Modding so 150 a lot of money considering I need everything lol.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
jdavis96gt said:
Ye that's the 2 I was going to get oil + water. Is the wide band that important? I know your air/fuel mixture is important. Prob just get double pillar, then get rid of clock. I like how the guages look in place of clock. Is wide band so you can adjust or just monitor. I remember seeing them for $150 or so. Just getting started Modding so 150 a lot of money considering I need everything lol.
If your just starting the mod thing I would personally get the 2 pod one!.. Oil and water!... The air-fuel one seems only useful if your into fine tunning your own ride!.. But that's just me!..

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If your just starting the mod thing I would personally get the 2 pod one!.. Oil and water!... The air-fuel one seems only useful if your into fine tunning your own ride!.. But that's just me!..
Ye I wouldn't know where to begin adjusting that. Is visibility bad with triple pod pillar? Or is 2 pod bad? I could always put them where clock is but pillar pods look awesome.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
around 96 ford changed the oil pressure to be basically useless, just on or off no real information at all. If yours is like this then the sender unit to signal "on" is bad. If you have a real sensor then it may just be the unit or the gauge. If you had zero oil pressure the car would not be running very long.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
jdavis96gt said:
Ye I wouldn't know where to begin adjusting that. Is visibility bad with triple pod pillar? Or is 2 pod bad? I could always put them where clock is but pillar pods look awesome.
I don't have pillar pods in mine yet!.. I'm waiting to go FI first!.. But from what I've seen I a friends Mustang, visibility is still really good!..

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't have pillar pods in mine yet!.. I'm waiting to go FI first!.. But from what I've seen I a friends Mustang, visibility is still really good!..
Thanks. Minds made up double pod pillar. Thanks for information guys, helped a lot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts