Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so as my first post here I would like to get some suggestions.
We need to change the oil on a 96 3.8l Mustang and had been taking it to the dealer and they did what they did, Waiting between 2.5-4 hours to get the oil change was just plain rediculous(that is with an appointment) SO it is time to change our own. The car is not moded nor would it ever be. It is my girlfriends car.
What oil do you guys recomend?
Should we stick to the Motocraft oil filter?

Ok now the check enine light lately the car as been having the check engine light come on and off. Sometimes it stays on for a little bit and go way other times it is on most of the day then it goes away.
It is not on all the time. SOme months ago. I had the car coded at a local shop and it coded for misfire on cilinder #3. The car has 55k on it always dealer kept and serviced. The code was cleared and Now this.

Any suggestions?

TIA,
Neptuno

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
go with mobile one sythetic oil to protect that engine also a motorcraft filter should be ok. for the check engine light go to a mechanic and have them run the obd 2 scanner to check your trouble codes. they shouldent charge you alot to check you diagnostic trouble codes.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
well if the car is modded and not to high milage i would run moble 1 fully synthetic 5w 30 (i know it calls for 5w20 on the newer models but i think yours will call for 5w30 regardless) else run the sythetic mic ford motor craft oil and no matter what oil run the ford motor craft oil filter FL400s

have the codes ran again, if its still a misfire take a tq wrench (a REAL ONE lol) and set it for 125ftlbs and tq the crank bolt down to 125 it may fix it, if this does not then simply check the plug/plug wire for cylinder number 3 heck its probably time to change ALL the plugs (after gaping them right with antiseeze on the threads) and NEW plugs and if that doesnt fix it check the coil pack :) cuz it may be that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so here is what we got so far. My girlfriend took the car to Advance Auto and had the car checked for the codes. Well it only had one P1443 Manufacturer Contrl.
Auxiliary Emission
Controls.

Problems is it means nothing to me as far as trying to fix whatever it may be that is causing the CEL to go off. DOes anyone have expirience with that code. Or simple things that I can look fo to try and fix the problem? Is this just something that the dealership has to handle or a profecional mechanic needs to look at? Is it out of the Do it yourself league?

Like I mention before the car is a stock 3.8. No modifications done and well maintained. The car only has 55k on the clock and is a 96.
Thanks for all the responses so far.

Neptuno

·
Registered
47 Posts
232stang said:
go with mobile one sythetic oil to protect that engine also a motorcraft filter should be ok. for the check engine light go to a mechanic and have them run the obd 2 scanner to check your trouble codes. they shouldent charge you alot to check you diagnostic trouble codes.
With Royal Purple Synthetic going mainstream, it can now be found a Pep Boys, NAPA, and some Auto Zone stores at the same price as Mobile 1.

Locally, Mobile 1 runs $5.72 a qt for 5W-30, Royal Purple 5W-30 goes for $5.49.

A recent article in 5.0 Mustang showed that it showed a HP Increase over other oil brands.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts