Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford has heavily hinted that the next Mustang is going to be available as a hybrid. I seriously doubt if the 5.0 can add the weight and complexity of batteries, electric motors etc. and remain competitive in the 0 to 60 sprint.
So, lets say that the 5.0 remains a 0 to 60 car of around 4.0 seconds in 2020......but sitting right across the showroom is a 4 cylinder Ecoboost Hybrid Mustang, 4WD, and capable of 0 to 60 in 2.5 seconds....and for thousands of $$’s less than the 5.0, AND offers 38 mpg in the city and 40 on the highway.....tempted yet?
I LOVE the sound of my 5.0, and I always remote start it as I walk behind it to get in just to hear it fire off — and do 2nd gear redline sprints in tunnels just to listen to it. But I would be quite realistically tempted to go for the incredible acceleration of the hybrid Mustang — instant torque off the line (no waiting for 4,700 rpm for ALL of the torque!).....but I would miss the V8 soundtrack.....my wife says “no way, stick to the V8 soundtrack!!!”
What say you all?

·
Registered
65 Posts
So, lets say that the 5.0 remains a 0 to 60 car of around 4.0 seconds in 2020......but sitting right across the showroom is a 4 cylinder Ecoboost Hybrid Mustang, 4WD, and capable of 0 to 60 in 2.5 seconds....and for thousands of $$’s less than the 5.0, AND offers 38 mpg in the city and 40 on the highway.....tempted yet?
I am at a loss......even with AWD, how are these vehicles able to do 0-60 in only a few seconds without seriously smoking the tires? Or maybe they do?

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I am at a loss......even with AWD, how are these vehicles able to do 0-60 in only a few seconds without seriously smoking the tires? Or maybe they do?
Computers today are able to keep the tires right at the point of traction/no traction....listen to a YouTube of a Tesla in ludicrous mode doing that crazy 0 to 60 sprint, and you’ll hear tire squeal, but no actual spinning of the tire.....their new roadster does that same thing, but IN 1.9 SECONDS!!!!

·
Registered
8,395 Posts
Awww what the hell.... Humming along in a electric car might be fun for a change.

But only if it's as good of a deal as you say it is Guard. :blink:

·
Registered
8,395 Posts
It's all very complicated... It has to do with reaction times, horsepower and torque ratios, available friction, things of that nature.

None of us really completely understand it either. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awww what the hell.... Humming along in a electric car might be fun for a change.

But only if it's as good of a deal as you say it is Guard. :blink:
I drove a hybrid Fusion as a rental car last year, and it does have its own fascination. You press the start button and.....nothing.....except a message on the dash that tells you the vehicle is ready to drive.....completely silently pulling out of the parking lot and up to speed before the IC motor kicks in 20 or so miles later brought a smile to my face every time.....got 53 mpg in the time I had it too......

·
Registered
8,395 Posts
It's difficult to argue about the performance and economy potential that it would have.

Just not sure if I would be willing to plunk down the change for the opportunity to be one of Ford's first "guinea pigs" for their new Mustang drivetrain.... What with their century long tradition of letting their customers do the durability testing on all of their new platforms, and all.
I wonder how much it will cost to replace the batteries in 5-6 years?

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
It's difficult to argue about the performance and economy potential that it would have.

Just not sure if I would be willing to plunk down the change for the opportunity to be one of Ford's first "guinea pigs" for their new Mustang drivetrain.... What with their century long tradition of letting their customers do the durability testing on all of their new platforms, and all.
I wonder how much it will cost to replace the batteries in 5-6 years?
Hybrid batteries aren’t known to be as horrendously expensive as full electric battery packs, but still.......battery deterioration in capacity, replacement cost and recycling concerns are the great unknowns if the industry goes full electric....but this is just NUTS!:

The current list price of a Bolt EV HV battery pack is $15,734.29 and the part number is 24285978. I do get a kick out of the .29 cents part....cute, Chevy!

·
Registered
325 Posts
The Challenger Demon does 0 to 60 in 2.3 seconds with RWD. Of course it comes with street legal drag radials. And I am sure the non limited production 2019 Challenger Redeye with 797HP will dip into the 2s too.

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Challenger Demon does 0 to 60 in 2.3 seconds with RWD. Of course it comes with street legal drag radials. And I am sure the non limited production 2019 Challenger Redeye with 797HP will dip into the 2s too.

Dave
We really are in a magic age right now for performance. The “muscle cars” of the late 60’s and early 70’s that are so romanticized for their performance were generally lucky to do the 0 to 60 sprint in anything less than 6 or 7 seconds, admittedly, usually tire limited.
I’d really like to see some of them retested, retrofitted with modern tires, .......and here’s a real dream...traction control? I’ll bet most of them could cut their time to 60 in about half......

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like the part where you say "for thousands less." Is that with or without the government subsidizing the car?
Hey, it’s my fantasy, OK......I do know that it is extremely unlikely that the 4WD, turbo, dual electric motor hybrid could be brought to market for less than the GT.....but the hybrid Fusion does sell for less than some of the other versions, so just daydreaming here......:thumb:

·
Super Moderator
17,937 Posts
All speculation and I doubt it'll be hybrid. If anything it'll be the 3.5L TT and a 5.0 as the GT choices with a probable upgraded 4 banger as well.

Also why in hell would it be AWD?

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All speculation and I doubt it'll be hybrid. If anything it'll be the 3.5L TT and a 5.0 as the GT choices with a probable upgraded 4 banger as well.

Also why in hell would it be AWD?
Well, if the electric motor is not part of the flywheel system as in some hybrids, it is then very easy to put a small electric motor on each front wheel and use the computers to apportion rpm and torque in the best way for handling, using the IC engine to drive the rear wheels.....

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
My problem is this.
I'm 75 years old with a 16 year old brain.
I don't care if the hybrid cars are extremely fast, Drive themselves or get 500 MPG.
I still like the combustion engines and not about to buy a sewing machine just because it goes 0 to 150 in 3 seconds.
I'll just be keeping my 2012 MCA for a long, long time.
Ronnie

·
Registered
763 Posts
Us "Old Guys" remember taking dads poker deck and moms clothes pins and putting them on our Schwinn Stingrays to sound like motorcycles roaring down the hi'way. Can't we do that with our Hybrid Stangs?

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Us "Old Guys" remember taking dads poker deck and moms clothes pins and putting them on our Schwinn Stingrays to sound like motorcycles roaring down the hi'way. Can't we do that with our Hybrid Stangs?
I think that the modern equivalent of that is feeding VROOOM engine noises over the stereo speakers of the car.....many already do that.......

·
Registered
763 Posts
Then we just need to put speakers on the outside of the car! Just think, if we want that big cam sound or the blower whine, easy man!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts