Mustang Evolution Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
So I don’t care what the motor is, as long as it’s fast! As an Industrial Engineer putting electric motors and batteries in a 550 shouldn’t be too hard, all wheel drive; you bet cha!!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Us "Old Guys" remember taking dads poker deck and moms clothes pins and putting them on our Schwinn Stingrays to sound like motorcycles roaring down the hi'way. Can't we do that with our Hybrid Stangs?
We sure did!!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Us "Old Guys" remember taking dads poker deck and moms clothes pins and putting them on our Schwinn Stingrays to sound like motorcycles roaring down the hi'way. Can't we do that with our Hybrid Stangs?
We sure did!! I think a few kids even used balloons.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I’d really like to see some of them retested, retrofitted with modern tires, .......and here’s a real dream...traction control? I’ll bet most of them could cut their time to 60 in about half......
Actually there is a racing series called Pure Stock that requires vehicles to be just as they could have been optioned from the factory. The fast muscle cars are running mid to high 11s.

There is another series called FAST (Factory Appearing Stock Tire). These cars can have bored, stroked and cammed engines but must use factory carbs, exhaust manifolds and the cam has to produce a stock like idle. The fastest cars typically have a 500+ cid engines and treated stock size bias ply tires. The fastest of these cars dip into the 9s.

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Actually there is a racing series called Pure Stock that requires vehicles to be just as they could have been optioned from the factory. The fast muscle cars are running mid to high 11s.

There is another series called FAST (Factory Appearing Stock Tire). These cars can have bored, stroked and cammed engines but must use factory carbs, exhaust manifolds and the cam has to produce a stock like idle. The fastest cars typically have a 500+ cid engines and treated stock size bias ply tires. The fastest of these cars dip into the 9s.

Dave
Makes sense, as many of them were in the 400 to 500 HP range back then, but with Goodyear Polyglass tires about 10 inches wide......can’t imagine how hard launching them was and maintaining traction through 1st and 2nd gears.....

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
I had a set of BUCRON cheater slicks on my 66 427 corvette and a bill Jenkins tuned and modified engine and it ran 10.88 at 143 mph at Cecil county drag strip.
As far as my street racing went, I could not find many that would run me for $$$$ after I beat everything a ran against.
After I did my only run at the drag strip, I could not run again unless I installed a roll bar,
It was one fun car and I wish I had it now.
Moral of this story is NEVER GET MARRIED IF YOU WANT TO KEEP YOUR CAR)

Ronnie

·
Registered
324 Posts
Makes sense, as many of them were in the 400 to 500 HP range back then, but with Goodyear Polyglass tires about 10 inches wide......can’t imagine how hard launching them was and maintaining traction through 1st and 2nd gears.....
Actually almost no engines from the muscle car era made 400 to 500 HP when measuring by the SAE Net measurement system manufactuers are required to use today.

Most of the big block engines from the muscle car era when measured by today's methods actually made 250 to 300 HP. No Ford v8s from the muscle car era made as much power as the 2.3 Ecoboost motor.

Dave

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I had a set of BUCRON cheater slicks on my 66 427 corvette and a bill Jenkins tuned and modified engine and it ran 10.88 at 143 mph at Cecil county drag strip.
As far as my street racing went, I could not find many that would run me for $$$$ after I beat everything a ran against.
After I did my only run at the drag strip, I could not run again unless I installed a roll bar,
It was one fun car and I wish I had it now.
Moral of this story is NEVER GET MARRIED IF YOU WANT TO KEEP YOUR CAR)

Ronnie
Still have both my Trans Ams after getting married and even added the Mustang afterwards. Just have to find the right woman.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
I can't complain because I "WAS" married for 7 years,
IT WAS TWO of the HAPPIEST YEARS OF MY LIFE
2 out of 7 wasn't bad.
Ronnie

---------- Post added at 12:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 PM ----------

I can't complain because I "WAS" married for 7 years,
IT WAS TWO of the HAPPIEST YEARS OF MY LIFE
2 out of 7 wasn't bad.
Ronnie

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
I love it.
Push button once and send same thing twice.
Ronnie

·
Registered
8,382 Posts
Actually almost no engines from the muscle car era made 400 to 500 HP when measuring by the SAE Net measurement system manufactuers are required to use today.

Most of the big block engines from the muscle car era when measured by today's methods actually made 250 to 300 HP. No Ford v8s from the muscle car era made as much power as the 2.3 Ecoboost motor.

Dave
You are correct that many of the engines from the 60's-70's muscle car era were not as powerful as modern engines. There were still plenty that were more powerful though. Unlike today, the engine models back then could be optioned in a lot of different configurations. Not every 'muscle car' of the era was optioned with the most powerful engine.
As far as Ford engines go, a 427 FE side-oiler made more horsepower, even corrected, than the 2.3 Ecoboost does. And torque. Don't forget about the torque!
Although it was pretty rare, the Ford 427 SOHC engine was capable of 500+ corrected hp, without even breaking a sweat.

·
Registered
324 Posts
As far as Ford engines go, a 427 FE side-oiler made more horsepower, even corrected, than the 2.3 Ecoboost does. And torque. Don't forget about the torque!
Although it was pretty rare, the Ford 427 SOHC engine was capable of 500+ corrected hp, without even breaking a sweat.
The only 427 side-oilers that made it into production cars were rated 390 HP which puts them right at 300 with the current SAE Net rating system. The higher HP versions were in factory race cars. The 427 SOHC was built for NASCAR and never made it into NASCAR or a street car.

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
The only 427 side-oilers that made it into production cars were rated 390 HP which puts them right at 300 with the current SAE Net rating system. The higher HP versions were in factory race cars. The 427 SOHC was built for NASCAR and never made it into NASCAR or a street car.

Dave
Insurance rates were KILLING those muscle cars back then, so many of them were WAY underrated from the factory as to their HP levels......

·
Registered
324 Posts
Based on trap speeds of the muscle cars that we're lighter than an Ecoboost Mustang they were not under rated by much.

I know people love to say they were under rated but they really weren't. I have lived in the Boston area my whole life, insurance rates weren't a factor either.

Dave

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
Based on trap speeds of the muscle cars that we're lighter than an Ecoboost Mustang they were not under rated by much.

I know people love to say they were under rated but they really weren't. I have lived in the Boston area my whole life, insurance rates weren't a factor either.

Dave
Bruins fan?

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S8+

·
Registered
8,382 Posts

Dave
In 1961 and 1962 you could order a high performance 390 that had 375 bhp. In the trunk of the car was an intake manifold with three two barrel carburetors (six-pack), and a set of headers, which, when installed, pushed the horsepower to 401.
In 1963 the 406 engine equipped with the six-pack intake manifold made 405 hp.
The 390 horsepower 427 was the engine that granny ordered for her Galaxie to drive to church on Sunday.... And afterwards, to bingo. The 425 hp engines were available as an option from 1964 to 1967. It was the power plant for the 65-67 Shelby 427 Cobra and also found it's way into both Fairlanes and Marauders.
The 427 SOHC was never put into mass production because NASCAR changed the rules to ban the use of the Cammer. If it weren't for that rule change, we would have seen the 427 SOHC installed in various platforms.

Not sure what formula you are using to convert from brake horsepower to SAE.
Does 425 hp beat a four cylinder Ecoboost?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Based on looking at HP ratings in 71 and then the same engine in 72/73 when the measurement system was changed to SAE Net the power number dropped by 1/3.

And I believe the cars that came with the 425 HP were factory race cars, not a car intended for street use.

Dave

·
Super Moderator
17,930 Posts
Baseball I get, football... like 5% of players make all the money and the rest of them have like 3 years and hope they don't have life altering injuries so I don't begrudge them trying to get all they can get with how much damn money that league makes... Drew Brees does not need to make $120M for 4 years or whatever nuts thing he has tho. Its not just him... anyway...

/rant...

/soapbox...

Anyway, horsepower ratings dropping like that are pretty cool, was not aware of that. And agreed with whoever said you take one of those 400rwhp muscle cars and put a modern suspension/tire setup on them and bet they drop a ****ton of time off their ET.

·
Registered
752 Posts
In 1961 and 1962 you could order a high performance 390 that had 375 bhp. In the trunk of the car was an intake manifold with three two barrel carburetors (six-pack), and a set of headers, which, when installed, pushed the horsepower to 401.
In 1963 the 406 engine equipped with the six-pack intake manifold made 405 hp.
The 390 horsepower 427 was the engine that granny ordered for her Galaxie to drive to church on Sunday.... And afterwards, to bingo. The 425 hp engines were available as an option from 1964 to 1967. It was the power plant for the 65-67 Shelby 427 Cobra and also found it's way into both Fairlanes and Marauders.
The 427 SOHC was never put into mass production because NASCAR changed the rules to ban the use of the Cammer. If it weren't for that rule change, we would have seen the 427 SOHC installed in various platforms.

Not sure what formula you are using to convert from brake horsepower to SAE.
Does 425 hp beat a four cylinder Ecoboost?
In 1970 two of friends had the big block Fords, One had the 63 406 3-2 with 4spd Galaxie, the other had a 66 Fairlane c6 auto 390 GTA. The 63 was rated 405 and when he could get it to hook up with the tires we had back in 70s it would literally strain your neck at take off. Same thing with the 390. The 66 GTA would hook up better than the 406, smaller car-lighter with shorter wheel base. Just with better tires and trac control my bet is with the old big blocks, Damm the SAE hp ratings.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts