Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2012 3.7L convertible with auto trans. I am looking at changing my exhaust from axle back. One thought I had was going from the stock 2.25" to a 3" muffler. Also going to use the old school CherryBomb brand mufflers that I used on several of my cars "back in the day." By that I mean back in the 70's when hot rodding your ride was souping up your lead sled with all the CalCustom stuff you could afford on a high school budget wage of $1.50/hr.
So this being my first Pony any thoughts from you Mustang old-timers?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
The 3 inch is not going to help, and the V6 in this car is so much different than the old school motors.
Then you have extra drone and rasp, neither one go well with my old ears.
I have short tube BBK headers on mine with 1 of the mellowest axle backs that to me sounds great, but everybody has different goals.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Be very careful messing with the back pressure on our V6's. You will lose power with too much or too little back pressure :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
I just went with a set of Borla S-Types AB. They were a little on the pricey side but I like the sound. I have a 14' 3.7 conv. Don't expect to duplicate the 5.0 sound and you will be happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Be very careful messing with the back pressure on our V6's. You will lose power with too much or too little back pressure :)
Just to be clear, exhaust back pressure is never a good thing. Increasing the diameter of an exhaust beyond a given point will reduce exhaust gas velocity at low RPM and cause a loss of torque, but if that exhaust was previously a restriction at high rpm the exhaust velocity will now increase and cause a gain in horsepower.

The way around this is tuning the vvt to reduce any loss of velocity at low rpms, while reaping the benefits of the improved velocity at higher rpms.

Torque is a derivative of velocity, and HP is a derivative of torque.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts