Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from vacation and put about 1,500 miles on the Mustang during this trip. Before I left, I just happened to check what my OLM % was at and it was at 46%. After I got to where I was going, I checked it again and it was still on 46% and I had driven about 700 miles. At the end of January will be one year since I last changed the oil and the OLM should be lower than 46% anyway so there is no telling how long it hasn't moved.

Anyway, the OLM still says 46%. Has anyone had this happen to them and how did you get it fixed? I'm out of my bumper to bumper so if it's an expensive fix, it won't get fixed. Thanks.

Wayne

ps. car just turned over 24,000 miles.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Try resetting it to 100% after you change the oil and keep tabs on it. I just changed the oil on Littlepony at 5000mi intervals and the olm was 50%. Takes a few miles for it to change.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have reset the OLM every time in the past after changing the oil and this is the first time this has happened. I will be changing the oil soon and will rest again and see what happens. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
I disagree^^^I'm not even convinced it's a good way to check.

Monte, the other thing you can try is disconnecting the battery to see if that jump starts the counter. Mine messed up 1x and I've read a few posts from others with this issue. If it was mine I wouldn't even think about trying to get it fixed.

·
Admin
5,822 Posts

Monte, the other thing you can try is disconnecting the battery to see if that jump starts the counter. Mine messed up 1x and I've read a few posts from others with this issue. If it was mine I wouldn't even think about trying to get it fixed.
I agree with Strange...synthetics tend to stay nice and clean looking for longer periods of time these days.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi, if you go on a monthly schedule every 3 to 4 months, your pleasure. Then depending on the quality of your oil, synthetic or non. You can easily set your own times to change the oil. It' s as easy checking the little oil reminder sticker. I've owned many vehicles those oil reminders for some reason never work l think the are only put in there to drive you mad! Thanks Ed.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've decided that I'm not going to get it fixed if unhooking the battery doesn't fix it. Since this is not a daily driver, I will just continue to change once a year. Thanks for all of the replies.

Wayne

·
Registered
33 Posts

Its all good. People have been checking with color and feel for years with conventional and synthetic way before OLM were around. Whatever makes you feel better.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
it used to be an acceptable way to check when engines were dirtier than today, nowadays motors run so clean it is the additives (anti-foam, wear, corrosion) that break down before the oil gets contaminated.

fwiw on my 5-6K year nice day toy I go time based 9 months which is 4x in 3yrs one more than Ford suggests that is the balance (for me) between thrifty and my old school upbringing of 3 month/3k miles.
I do believe that it is kinda moot as oil related failures are rare today

1 - 10 of 10 Posts