Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you folk feel about underdrive pulley's? I just have the underdrive crank pulley and just took it off. I feel a difference but also feels like it hard on things. Seems to be real tight. Just put on my stock crank pulley tonight and feels loser. Want to know your guys thought.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Under drive pulleys IMO are a waste, I has my car dynoed a few months ago and the guy at the speed shop recommended me to switch back to stock pulleys ! Under drive pulleys just cause annoying issues on 94-95 5.0s

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had under drive pullies and was having cooling and voltage issues. I switched back to my stock pullies and bam the issues web away.

·
Registered
38 Posts
88stang5.0 said:
I had under drive pullies and was having cooling and voltage issues. I switched back to my stock pullies and bam the issues web away.
I am having those exact issues right now... Going back to stock pulleys asap.

·
Banned
8,044 Posts
WhiteCobra94 said:
Under drive pulleys IMO are a waste, I has my car dynoed a few months ago and the guy at the speed shop recommended me to switch back to stock pulleys ! Under drive pulleys just cause annoying issues on 94-95 5.0s
+1

Don't do it!

---------- Post added at 06:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:23 AM ----------

Matt95GT said:
I am having those exact issues right now... Going back to stock pulleys asap.
+2

---------- Post added at 06:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:24 AM ----------

Jeff44 said:
Too many problems with under drive pulleys. Go back to the stock ones.
+3

·
Registered
254 Posts
Re: Underdrive pulleys?

They are a cheaper way to get a little extra power, but the potential issues you can have just aren't worth it. for the same money you can get more reliable parts in other areas.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Underdrive pulleys will give you a few extra horses, but as many people find out there are consequences to downsizing the pulleys. If your Mustang is a daily driver, or is driven frequently in stop and go traffic, then stick with the stock pulleys. You should also consider sticking with stock pulleys if you have high amperage demands, like a high wattage stereo system. If you drive your car occasionally; car shows, cruise nights and trips to the track, then underdrive pulleys can work. You should get a larger Alt, say 130-140 Amps, and expect to set your idle higher.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree with you all. Just wanted to know if everyone else felt the same. My friend had it on his early 90's fox and has trouble with amps and batterie. I think there hard on your motor.

·
Banned
8,044 Posts
Sybesma07 said:
I agree with you all. Just wanted to know if everyone else felt the same. My friend had it on his early 90's fox and has trouble with amps and batterie. I think there hard on your motor.
they arent hard on the motor. they just dont rotate the accesories at the proper rpm. :good:

·
Banned
1,656 Posts
I have underdrives wit no probs :)
DD throughout chi-town weather!
So pfffffff!!!..but I don't have a/c or radio junk stealing my mojo either.
But I will say during heavy rain with the wipers on high unless I'm over 1,200 rpm they run slow and the lights dim quite a bit :/
All I'd have to change back is the alt pulley back to stock, but it's made it through 2 winters and the batt still runs strong.

·
Banned
8,044 Posts
XXSTEVEO66 said:
But I will say during heavy rain with the wipers on high unless I'm over 1,200 rpm they run slow and the lights dim quite a bit :/
All I'd have to change back is the alt pulley back to stock, but it's made it through 2 winters and the batt still runs strong.
and change the crank pulley back to stock. the crank pulley kills mojo to.

·
Banned
1,656 Posts
dreamstang said:
and change the crank pulley back to stock. the crank pulley kills mojo to.
I understand that underdrives everything sunshine. when I first did my underdrive setup I didn't change the alt pulley and had no issues with the wipers runnin or the bat charging. After no issues I did the alt. Sooo if I didn't want slow wiper jazz I would only change the alt pulley to stock. Nah nah nah boo boo stick yr head in doo doo!!

·
Banned
8,044 Posts
XXSTEVEO66 said:
I understand that underdrives everything sunshine. when I first did my underdrive setup I didn't change the alt pulley and had no issues with the wipers runnin or the bat charging. After no issues I did the alt. Sooo if I didn't want slow wiper jazz I would only change the alt pulley to stock. Nah nah nah boo boo stick yr head in doo doo!!
whateva :p
wellllll...... most people dont have luck with just changing the alternator pulley back. so blah blah. haha but anyways i have an UD crank pulley. but what i did was overdrive the alternator to basically make it back to stock rpms. the reason i did that was cause i didnt have the stock pulleys, and the brand new aluminum pulleys did look kimda sexy. ;)

·
Banned
1,656 Posts
dreamstang said:
whateva :p
wellllll...... most people dont have luck with just changing the alternator pulley back. so blah blah. haha but anyways i have an UD crank pulley. but what i did was overdrive the alternator to basically make it back to stock rpms. the reason i did that was cause i didnt have the stock pulleys, and the brand new aluminum pulleys did look kimda sexy. ;)
+5.0 on da sex appeal!..

·
Registered
269 Posts
XXSTEVEO66 said:
Im from illinois, (joliet) too! Never again will I drive my fox through the winter. Did it ONCE lol. I had a bad experience.You go up to 66 ?

·
Banned
1,656 Posts
foxbox said:
Im from illinois, (joliet) too! Never again will I drive my fox through the winter. Did it ONCE lol. I had a bad experience.You go up to 66 ?
I drive by 66 every day going to work. My work is about 5min from the track. I haven't been there in a while though :(..I'm right up the street from you in Lockport.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts