Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got those 17 stock bullitts on my stang. You've all seen the black versions. How crazy would it look with RED?

Keeping the polished edge and center piece. Basically, changing the gray to the same red as the rest. Aside for the trouble of painting, if it could be done cleanly would it look cool?

If someone would photoshop the color on the pics and repost them here that would be exceptional. (I can't do it at work, and computer is down at home)

and yes, I would love chrome, but i'd rather spend the big money on performance mods right now. <hell, I've been playing a lot of NFS Underground 2 o.k.!>

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
bullits dont seem to fit really good to me on the 05s... just my opinion, I would go with chrome rims which ever I choose, or at least silver.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
i agree with brandon i dont think bullitts flow with the 05 body lines but silver or chrome would look good dont go red or black

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the replys
I'm still kinda feeling the red though. I'll probably try it out on one rim in a couple weeks. I figure if it doesn't work out I'll black em out, or maybe as a last resort try to pull off polished aluminum. I've got time, just not money.

if anyone wants to take another photoshop pass at it, try it without the center painted, just the spokes. I just don't like the silver at all. I should have negotiated better when I bought the car. Hell, I had to fight so hard to get the price I wanted I forgot about wheel options.

·
Registered
563 Posts
i think it looks terrible with the red and is a disgrace to that mustang.:disgust:
anything would look better then the red.

·
Premium Member
2,280 Posts
nah i think if the rim was powdercoated with the right red it might look alright, but thats just a rough photoshop.

also, those bullits look really small on the 05, maybe you need some 18's out back or something.

and i dont think the bullitts look that good on a 05 either. maybe some FR500's might look good.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the additional replies.

I've held off on the red, and tried pulling off the polish aluminum look.

I'm kinda in a rut, I've only gotten as far as stripping and sanding one of the rims. The stripping is a lot more difficult than I expected. I've had to pull out the power tools. The gray paint on front face of the rims is a *****! I'm not sure what power coated is, but whatever technique was done, it's like the paints was "embeded" in the rim. It's very gritty under the clear coat and top layer of paint. I had to power sand it off, which has turned out kinda sloppy. The wide front parts aren't too bad, but the center piece and front face of the inside diameter are vicious. I've put a stipper on my drill to tackle those.

What's got me most confused though, after I sand through the paint and girtty surface, there is a layer that I can get pretty smooth, but right under that is gets rough again. Kinda like the cast rim was hot dipped in aluminum. The underlaying texture reminds me of the mineral mica. Anyway, I got a little discourage at that point. Stipping and sanding the inside of the rim was like butter, no problem.

Most of my delay is because the starter went dead in my other car, so I can't leave the stang on jacks in the garage anymore. I bought a diablo tuner and air intake instead of fixing the other car :)

On the positive side, I do like what I have done over the painted grey rims. Plus I haven't really got into polishing the surface. I'm gonna go ahead and strip the other 3 rims. I'm sure around then I'll be pretty tempted to paint one of them red.

·
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
7,212 Posts
Were those rims originally powder coated? I know my rims on my cobra were painted and can be turned to chrome with the use of simple brake cleaner. Takes the paint right off and there is chrome under there for some reason.

Granted, your rims are probably aftermarket or something, so I am not sure whether they were powder coated or not.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have the factory 17" bullit metalic grey rims. I used the strongest sounding paint stipper I could find at Home Depot. However, I have not been able to get the stipper alone to cleanly take off the paint. After the stipper, the surface of the rims resimbles 100 grit sand paper. I've had to sand through this part to get the rim smooth.

If anyone know how the ford factory paints their rims please let me know. If you've got a better way for me to strip the paint, please help.

You think brake cleaner will work better than paint stripper?
I wonder if the layer I described previously is actually chrome, and the layered part beneath it is aluminum.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What would make the paint not stick? I always figured I'd use a primer on the aluminum before painting.

Do you have a picture of what the red clear tint or metal flakes in black would look like?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts